What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently use pretty much the same, dish washing liquid to clean everything and a one step no rinse sanitizer. I will try the oxy with the water I have and see how it works. Never had my water tested, I use a filtered water in my coffee maker and I do have to clean my fixtures with vinegar every so often to get rid of build up. I use spring water to make my beers. We will see, thanks

my LHBS sold me some CIPTON it is a caustic cleaner because i had a blemish in a carboy that i could not remove; with oxy clean, iodaphor bleach, elbow grease fantastick and any thing else i tried. the CIPTON took it off no problem in a 1/2 hour soak. has any body used this before? it worked wonders for my carboys. I thought one was clean and then i soaked it in the CIPTON it looks two shades clearer than i have ever seen it. has any body else used this? I am going to use it every time!

When using star-san does everyone just make the 5 gallon batch? I am just starting up brewing. I bought the bigger than God intended bottle of star san that has the small chamber marked at 1/2 oz and 1 oz. I would like to make a smaller than 2.5 gallon batch of it for smaller jobs.

Ive been thinking that i could use the sani tabs (you know the blue stuff used for sanitizing beer and drink glasses at a bar). You see I work at a bar and I could trade the boss a few beers for acouple bottles of the tabs. It says on the bottle it kills HIV virus. ...............................................Any thaughts?

Ive been thinking that i could use the sani tabs (you know the blue stuff used for sanitizing beer and drink glasses at a bar). You see I work at a bar and I could trade the boss a few beers for acouple bottles of the tabs. It says on the bottle it kills HIV virus. ...............................................Any thaughts?

Quoting myself from another thread on this:
Quaternary ammonia sanitizer would work fine as far as "sanitizing" goes (as Gila says, it is or it isn't). However, for brewing, the quat would leave a residue that would significantly reduce head retention. So, you could use it, but you would have to rinse everything with pre-boiled water.

I have a quick question. I'm at the end of my fermentation so I racked from my plastic fermentor to a glass carboy. I may have screwed up though so I need to know what happens if I rinsed my carboy with B-Brite (sodium carbonate) but I forgot to rinse after I washed. I must have had a brain fart and I was thinking it was the same as Star-San. This just happened s I can still re-rack the beer to yet another carboy or I might go ahead and put it back in the fermentor and get ready to bottle.

What do you think, will I have funny tasting beer?

I have a quick question. I'm at the end of my fermentation so I racked from my plastic fermentor to a glass carboy. I may have screwed up though so I need to know what happens if I rinsed my carboy with B-Brite (sodium carbonate) but I forgot to rinse after I washed. I must have had a brain fart and I was thinking it was the same as Star-San. This just happened s I can still re-rack the beer to yet another carboy or I might go ahead and put it back in the fermentor and get ready to bottle.

What do you think, will I have funny tasting beer?
Everything is bottled up now so I guess we'll see what happens :D

should be ok. rhahb! as long as you used the recommended amount of b-brite and didn't go heavy you should be ok.

from a winemaking forum:

You should be fine. As you said, it is a percarbonate cleaner just as Easy Clean or One Step. You can use these products no rinse. I use Oxy Clean and Sun Brand (other percarbonate cleaners) and normally don't rinse after using it.

can you use baby sterilizing fluid as a cleaner? Diluted in a spray bottle

lol... I meant the fluid yo use for sterilizing baby bottle's, dummies etc..

1. Idophor (a medical version -- Betadine 10% aqueous)
I pay £3 for 500ml and need 1.25ml per litre to make a no rinse solution
Description: If you keep your equipment clean between brews, Iodophor is a great sanitizer. (Your equipment will not be clean if you simply rinse after use. You must use a cleaner, such as TSP.) Iodophor is excellent for stainless steel- which Diversol will corrode- and all other beermaking equipment. Mixed properly and used in a spray bottle, Iodophor is almost magical in its convenience: there's no waiting and no rinsing. Cleaning Iodophor does not clean. Use a cleanser such as TSP before sanitizing with Iodophor. Sanitizing Mix 1 ml per litre of cold water.

I've read in an article that to obtain a 12.5 ppm solution , you should use 1/2 fl. Oz. of Iodophor in 5 Galons of Water .

1/2 fl. Oz. = 15 mL of Iodophor ( 10% aqueous )

5 Gallons = 19 Lit.

15/19 = 0.8 mL of Iodophor per Lit. of Water

So why you use 1.25 mL of Iodophor per Lit. of Water ?!!

Hector

I heard that One Step is now considered more of a cleaner than a sterilizer. is this true? I've used One Step for all my beers and have never had a problem. Then again, I'm very careful with cleaning.

Has anyone used Oxo Brite? They sell big tubs of it at my grocery store, and the ingredients (and their website) list only Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Carbonate.

The combination is supposed to be more effective, yes? A better deal than pure percarbonate and no one around here stocks oxyclean "free".

Just to add to the sanitizers (sanitisers:)), I sometimes use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol for little parts (and then rinse with pre-boiled water) and sometimes not-so-little parts when in a jam. But if I remember correctly, I couldn't get that in the UK... I believe it's Surgical Spirit and has more in it than isopropanol and water (and probably cost more than 1£ for a liter... a liter of Isopropyl Alcohol is about $2 in the States).

ADDED

I keep a spray bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol handy at all times for the thermometer, stir spoon, etc. I don't rinse, but I do allow excess to drip off before using the sprayed item.

Idophor stains are not a problem. Potassium (or Sodium) metasulphite are reducing agents. They break down oxidizers like Oxygen or Iodine. That's why they're used as preservatives in wine. The point it, a metasulphite solution reacts with the idophor solution. No more brown stain. Just spray or wipe some metasulphite solution on your idophor stains and they disappear. Everyone should know about this. It's simple first year chemistry. I used to do it as a demo in labs.

I keep a spray bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol handy at all times for the thermometer, stir spoon, etc. I don't rinse, but I do allow excess to drip off before using the sprayed item.

Technically, 70% is better at killing microbes than 91%. Some bacteria, when exposed to a harsh environment, can sense it and close off their cell membrane before allowing the toxin in and getting killed. 70% has enough water in it to sort of "trick" them into keeping things open long enough. This is why hospitals, labs, etc. typically use 70% (either isopropyl or EtOH).

That being said, I'm sure 91% isopropyl alcohol sanitizes plenty for homebrewing.

Is Starsan the only non-rinse cleanser?

I have the sanitizer that came with my beer kit, about due to buy some more and was looking at something 'safer' like a non-rinse. Just wondered if the Starsan was the only one or if there were more.

We at Five Star offer Star San as well as Io Star so we actually sponsor both dogs in this fight. Star San is non-staining, more eco-friendly than Iodophors and also engineered to impart no off-odors or flavors in beer. Iodophors can impart off-flavors to the discriminating pallet especially if diluted at stronger concentrations. As Iodphors are used at various strengths, depending upon what you are attacking, few labels are well written and few folks dose correctly. Our Iodophor dilutes to 1 ounce per 5 gallons achieving 25 ppm, which is appropriate for the home brewer, although half as much is still often sufficient. Iodophor is a "no rinse" sanitizer when used at or below 25 PPM.

We at Five Star offer Star San as well as Io Star so we actually sponsor both dogs in this fight. Star San is non-staining, more eco-friendly than Iodophors and also engineered to impart no off-odors or flavors in beer. Iodophors can impart off-flavors to the discriminating pallet especially if diluted at stronger concentrations. As Iodphors are used at various strengths, depending upon what you are attacking, few labels are well written and few folks dose correctly. Our Iodophor dilutes to 1 ounce per 5 gallons achieving 25 ppm, which is appropriate for the home brewer, although half as much is still often sufficient. Iodophor is a "no rinse" sanitizer when used at or below 25 PPM.

Thanks for the info.

I'll still likely rinse quickly anyway... just with the other products where you 'must' rinse, I was always worried what if I didn't rinse well enough. At least with these two products if I don't rinse 100% then who cares. :)

Rinsing is a problem if you contaminate it with your rinse watter or it gets contaminated by air/touch before your finished.

I use starsan, BTF iodophor and cheap bleach for sanitizing, all for different phases of brewing. They all have their particular strengths for my different parts in the process.

It depends on where you live and what water comes out of your pipes. Many places have very fine clean and safe water, where you can just rinse anything off or add tap water to your beer at any stage.

For example, in Vancouver the water is less than 7ph, I heard its usually 5 or 6, which makes bleach more effective. If I added vinegar to the bleach it may give off clorine gas. I think it fluctuates bc sometimes I do feel the effects of a little clorine when using 5 tbsp per carboy, recently I haven't noticed it at all.

It's very sad, but I heard that Coca Cola is going to sue the city of Vancouver bc it has a new policy of discouraging use of disposable water bottles (Dasani), and advertised at the 2010 olympics that local water is safe to drink and better than bottles water. They provided (GASP) brand new public water fountains beside the vending machines.

Well, I just moved here for a while (parents... sigh) until back on my feet. They're in a very very small town and the water has a slight 'tint' to it. I'm springing for a water filtration system for the drinking water, but even then, I think I'm going to pay the $7 for the giant jugs of water at the local stores. I think those should be fine for brewing with and the left overs for a quick rinse.

As for Coke, that is sad... trying to sue the city for trying to reduce wasted plastic. That's why I'm getting the water filter installed. I see people at the stores buying 6-8 cases of water bottles and think wow what a waste. I'm only buying the 18 litre jugs for brewing but returning the jugs back to the store when done, not tossing them out or anything.

Hello all_

I'm the new kid on the block...bear with me if I say something stupid! lol

I recently built a counterflow wort chiller. It was constructed out of new 3/8 ID copper tubing. My concern is... How do I properly clean this line before usage? Will syphoning 5 gallons of B-Brite through it be sufficient? Then a sanitizer? Or will I need something else to remove any possible oils and residues from manufacturing?

Has anyone heard of Beer Brite? Maybe this is B-Brite repackaged?? My local homebrew store sells it and I have used it a few times with good results. It is a white powder which is comprised of Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Silicate. The directions are 1Tsp per gallon of water for cleaning\sanitizing followed by a warm then cold rinse. I have a small bag of it; however, it sounds like StarSan is much easier to use! :)

Has anyone heard of Beer Brite? Maybe this is B-Brite repackaged?? My local homebrew store sells it and I have used it a few times with good results. It is a white powder which is comprised of Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Silicate. The directions are 1Tsp per gallon of water for cleaning\sanitizing followed by a warm then cold rinse. I have a small bag of it; however, it sounds like StarSan is much easier to use! :)

Actually sounds like a PBW type knock-off. Star San is a sanitizer. You cannot sanitize what isn't already clean, by definition. Like many other 'cheap & easy' alternatives it doesn't appear to have any chelators so you will eventually get beer stone in your set up. 2 rinses? That's odd.:eek:

Hmm...well, since I already have a pound of PBW, I'll just pick up some StarSan and be good to go! Thanks for the info.

I've kept my cleaning and sanitizing as simple as possible and never had a problem on about 20 batches. I Always rinse the equipment after use so I never have any real solid particulate matter caked on. Than just give er a bleach soak, I use mine fairly concentrated and just "swish" it around the bucket/carboy. Bleach is a very powerfull antimicrobial and its also the most economical.

I never use any abrasive materials and never use a cloth. I use my hands for the entire process and to clean all the equipment inside the bucket at the same time. Storing the buckets dry in a clean place prevents the initial buildup of bacteria in the first place.

I use Sodium Percarbonate which is essentially an industrial OxyClean. A good soak will clean all the caked on junk on equipment.

Rinse with water.

Soak in Citric Acid solution to both neutralize any leftover Sodium Perc and also further sanitize the equipment.

Rinse

I follow up with Isopropyl Alcohol on any other parts as needed.

Rinse well

Yes... all these are common winemaking sanitation chemicals that I've found to be more eco (and human) friendly than chlorine bleach. Also, I get the added benefit of no discoloration on any food grade plastics and hoses.

Since the San-Star mix is good for a while can I store stuff in it? Is it safe to keep stuff in it for long periods of time? any items/materials that would be bad?
(the low pH concerns me a bit)

What about using Hydrogen Peroxide as your sanitizer. I've heard something like a tbsp per quart of water sanitizes by burning the bacteria and viruses. 3% can be used undiluted and breaks down to oxygen and water.

Currently use Starsan after thorough cleaning but find mixing the small amount I need a pain. Used to use One Step.

Is PBW the same as One step and is that the same as Oxy-Clean??

Also does PBW sanitize and clean?

In the starter kit that I bought I received LD Carlson Easy Clean No Rinse Cleanser. I looked on the bottle and even their website and found nothing telling what chemical it is or if it is a sanitizer. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Anybody here have any thoughts to Chlorine Dioxide as a no-rinse sanitizer?

It's the only no-rinse I can get from my LHBS. Used it twice so far and it seems ok, but that could be luck.

Also, isn't chlorine bad for stainless steel? So should I really be using Chlorine Dioxide as a sanitizer in my kegs?

Seems like star san will likely be the first option I choose in getting started here. It seems pretty simple from reading about it here, so I'm hoping I don't find a new and clever way to mess it up.

Back