Festa Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ntense

Reaction score
I've made 3 Festa Brew (Continental Pilser, Cream Ale and Cerveza) but I'm not happy with the result: They almost taste like Perrier water.

You can't go wrong with these kit, you only have to add yeast to it. Maybe it's because they are too young?

Will these kit will have a better taste eventually?

I've never heard of 'festa brew'...but maybe its a bit regional.

I would try some different kits. Any kit that has you add a pound or two of sugar is going to give you a thin beer, and pre-hopped extract kits are pretty tame on hops and bitterness.

I'd get a kit that uses nothing but liquid and/or dry malt extract, hop pellets, and some quality yeast (Danstar, Fermentis...not a 'no name' packet).

Does Festa Brew come with the wort completely finished and at full volume? Maybe I'm thinking of another brand.

Are you saying your brew tastes clean but lacks flavor? Might the cause be over attenuation? Do you have O.G and F.G readings?

I've been doing the Double Oatmeal Stout from them, and highly recommend it.
It reminds me of St. Ambrose.
Dave.

FestaBrew is made by Magnotta. It's a 23L premade wort. A friend of mine has had good luck with a red ale kit, but I think it was BrewHouse.

I've used FestaBrew kits before any I really like them! I've found that they produce a better quality beer than the extract recipes I've brewed; save 1 or 2.

The Festa Brew kits are exceptionally high quality, and if fermented correctly from a fresh kit, will taste better than nearly any extract kit out there.

It sounds to me like you overcarbed the recipe, or they could just be too young. Unless they have been in the bottle for at least 3 weeks at ROOM temperature, it is too early to tell.

If they still taste this way after 3-4 weeks, I bet they are over-carbed.

There is also a small chance that you developed a wild yeast infection and that is causing the overcarbonation and thin body/lack of flavour.

Thanks for the information. It's not the first time I'm into brewing, but lately, I tried 3 Festa Brew kits.

Right now, they are all in kegs.

It does taste great, but lack in flavor. It reminds me the Bud light. :) No flavor at all.

Maybe it's too soon to tell, I should wait 2-3 weeks.

Or maybe I should try another kit, like Buck?

I can't speak for Festa Brew, but I've done two Brewhouse kits. The first was a cream ale, and it was green for quite a while. Only after about 6-7 weeks in the bottle was it very good. The second one is a light lager which I added some Apricot puree to, and that was has been conditioning for just over 4 weeks, and so far so good. Perhaps try the Brewhouse kits for your next one?

haha Festa Brew you must be a maritimer!!
Edit - or maybe not, haha I had only seen these things previously at the noble grape which is a maritimes homebrew chain.

My first drinkable beer was made with a festa brew brown ale kit. It was decent and all my friends thought it was fantastic.

I doubt ill ever go back to festa brew again, but i found the brown ale product to be decent. From everything I read about homebrewing It seemed that it just wasnt cutting it from what could be accomplished with a little more time and effort used.

And like most beers im fairly sure they will get better with time.

My first brew was a Baron's Premium amber ale. It was a good "gateway" beer, but I have a new friend who has been at it for a few years and since tasting his brew, I have seen the light.

Can't help you on the Festa Brew tastes, but I have done 5 Brew House kits, almost the same, they come with concentrated wort and you add up to 2 gal. water. So far I have been very pleased with these, but I have touched up all but the first one. Try dry hopping, steeping grains, adding something. Also, control fermantation temps as best as possible, I found keeping the temps in the mid 60's F seemed to give the cleanest tastes that really let the beer and additives stand out. I have done this and all have turned out very well and were all ready within 3 weeks from bottling.

I had 2 festa kits, pale ale and west coast IPA. had the same problem that you had with the pale ale. I rased the temp of the fridge, purged the keg and lowered the PSI, it was much better. The WC-IPA is the absolute best kit i ever had! Better than most of my all-grain brews.

I had 2 festa kits, pale ale and west coast IPA. had the same problem that you had with the pale ale. I rased the temp of the fridge, purged the keg and lowered the PSI, it was much better. The WC-IPA is the absolute best kit i ever had! Better than most of my all-grain brews.

I'd believe it about the IPA. The Festa Brew kits are made by Magnotta, and their True North IPA is a great brew. I might have to keep an eye out for the festa brew IPA now.

I'd believe it about the IPA. The Festa Brew kits are made by Magnotta, and their True North IPA is a great brew. I might have to keep an eye out for the festa brew IPA now.

You may have to make a reservation with your LHBS for the "BREWMASTER'S RESERVE " products like the WC-IPA. I had to get on a waiting list for it. Totally worth it IMO.

I did a Festa cream ale in August. I found that it was well into October before I could enjoy it. A good 8 weeks in the bottle and it tastes pretty good. Everyone I've given one two LOVES the taste. I'm not crazy about it just cuz I'm not into cream ale. I will try to do another though. I'd like to try the oatmeal stout.

Back