MD, DC, DE, South PA Brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 months, but when talking about possibly 150-200# of grain and 70oz of hops --- we need time to get that stuff from the LHBS as (mine at least) they usually can't just order 70oz of hops in one order.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, I just am a crazy control freak and want to get things in order so we're not ordering things a week before and being short (or way over) in ingredients because we don't know who's coming.

well ok! so what we need to do is..... do people object to the ALT? if yes then new recipe... if no who is in, and put in a hop order, and if anyone isnt sure now, they can get their own hops (and people can mix it up anyways!)

+1 on the "we have 2 months to go". Should be plenty of time. Hops direct will sort us out for the hoppage in less than a week.

+1 on the recipe's funkiness. I think it's the late hops that strike me as odd, in addition to the ton of low AA hops.

I can do the alt, but how 'bout a saison?
Or scotch 70/?

I can do the alt, but how 'bout a saison?
Or scotch 70/?

Given the time of year, I'm favoring a saison. Jamil's recipe is a firm starting point, IMHO.

And just to throw a curveball, you should all try brewing a Berliner Weisse at least once in your lives. :D

I'll likely brew an alt well before May to take advantage of the perfect temps in my basement. I have plenty of ingredients in stock to brew just about anything that tickles my fancy, save a pound of speciality grain here and there.

I think the reasoning against a saison is that the water in joppa is hazzy (Ive never noticed.....) so darker beer is better (then again, it pretty much always is!)

It's not so much the haze, but that it has a funky flavor when making yellow-fizzy beers. Heavier dark malts seem to overpower this funk, but I have not made a GOOD yellow fizzy beer withour our water as of yet. I've been using grocery store gallons to make mead, but to get enough water for 40-50 gallons of beer would be cost prohibitive.

I just remembered - Chloride.
There's a treatment plan < 1mi from the house.
We're at the beginning of the water source, so our water has lots of chemicals so that there's enough chemical content for the "end of line" bastids. Dark beers seem to work fine, lighter beers - not so much.

We're at the beginning of the water source, so our water has lots of chemicals so that there's enough chemical content for the "end of line" bastids.

Chloride or chloramine? If the latter, a Campden tablet renders the water safe for brewing.

It's not so much the haze, but that it has a funky flavor when making yellow-fizzy beers. Heavier dark malts seem to overpower this funk, but I have not made a GOOD yellow fizzy beer withour our water as of yet. I've been using grocery store gallons to make mead, but to get enough water for 40-50 gallons of beer would be cost prohibitive.

We're at the beginning of the water source, so our water has lots of chemicals so that there's enough chemical content for the "end of line" bastids. Dark beers seem to work fine, lighter beers - not so much.

never really thoguht there was a method to the madness! but yeah, only ever made dark beers at your place.... didnt we do the first bitter there? thats real good!

I just noticed this and have to say I am hurt you invited everyone AROUND South Jersey. But then again I probably wouldn't be able to go anyway.

Ah, we will have our own and we will hire 20 strippers (female) for entertainment too! :ban: Screw you guys! :mad:

:D

Seriously, I am like only 60 miles from that location and I am not even at the very tip on NJ.

Ok, if I was at the tip of NJ that would be farther. Point is I can see DE and PA from my second story window of my house.

Trust me, it works. :)

I think we could consider a sub of Perle if we have it.
Perle is a great bittering hop to sub for Hallertau. They have a medium high alpha and are german. I made a Sticke Alt based on Horst's Alt book that used 7 ozs in 11 gal which used the Perle for the bittering. Alt's are generally malty and bitter, I love the style. I'll bring some of the Sticke along for brew day.

Given the time of year, I'm favoring a saison. Jamil's recipe is a firm starting point, IMHO.

And just to throw a curveball, you should all try brewing a Berliner Weisse at least once in your lives. :D

I'll likely brew an alt well before May to take advantage of the perfect temps in my basement. I have plenty of ingredients in stock to brew just about anything that tickles my fancy, save a pound of speciality grain here and there.
All depends on how hot our May temps get. It might be okay yet but it's pushing the envelope. My basement will probably be close unless May turns unuasally hot.

I've been using a pur filter at my sink for my well water. It does a great job with the carbon to filter chlorides. It only filters about a 100 gallon till it's used up but still cheaper than bottled water. I can bring water along in gallon jugs for the brew day, I'm used to having to do that with my well water.

I have a faucet filter, but it still isn't great water.

All dark beer has turned out beautiful.

That said, I don't care what we do. My OCD was acting up at work today and I indecision is one of my pet peeves. Someone just let me know what we're brewing and I'll open the doors that Saturday morning and we'll brew whatever. I don't really care much as I'm more of a mead person lately anyways.

not that I'm still hung up on this (because I am...heh)

a reminder that this is a Dusseldorf Alt, which ranges 35-50 IBUS and according to Jamil (not the best source, but I have the book in front of me) "often spicy or floral hop notes too. bitterness ranges frm moderate to quite high leaving it balanced nearly evenly in some examples andvery firmly bittered in others."

this aint your momma's Northern German Alt...we're rocking the Dusse :)

never really thoguht there was a method to the madness! but yeah, only ever made dark beers at your place.... didnt we do the first bitter there? thats real good!

Yea, thats where we did that.

I just noticed this and have to say I am hurt you invited everyone AROUND South Jersey. But then again I probably wouldn't be able to go anyway.

Well I will take blame for that. Mainly cause I just don't like Jersey :D

But I am in Newark, De and its only about 45 minutes for me so if you are just over the bridge it shouldn't be more than an hour.

I knew you were acting funny! u need to go to the stip club more!

When we going!!!!

The barleywine will more than likely be too much for the MLTs.

I dunno, a hefe or a wit sound good to me.
Scotch 70/ or 80/ also.
(a balanced recipe) Alt too!
Californian steam beer!

Back