Need some advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewGWU

Reaction score
I have a kit that is already hopped extract. Should I boil it anyway or just follow the instructions on the kit to add the syrup, boiling, then cool water. It seems I have read that it is better to boil it even if the instructions do not say to. If I do then for how long?

I'm not that familiar with hopped malt extract kits, but I'd think a full wort boil would help in pretty much any case. Pour all the water that the kit calls for into a big kettle and boil it. Then add the malt extract. I'd boil it for 60 minutes. Then you need to chill the wort as fast as possible by putting it in a sink full of icewater, or using a wort chiller if you have one. Get the temp down to 70-80 degrees and pitch the yeast.

My LHBS who sold me my beginner's kit complete with the pre-hopped extract told me to ignore the instructions on the package other than the part about opening the can. :cross:

Here are the basic brew instructions they gave me to use for pre-hopped extract kits instead.

Scroll down to the part labeled "Step 1: Get Organized"

I'll also point out that my first beer brewed with the pre-hopped extract was drinkable but quite bland. Don't quit after that point thinking, "homebrew sucks." Just step up on your next one to an extract plus specialty grains/hops recipe and you'll be amazed at how much better it tastes.

I haven't done any mini-mashes or all grain brewing yet, but I've been told that the difference in quality is just as vast.

andre the giant said:
I'm not that familiar with hopped malt extract kits, but I'd think a full wort boil would help in pretty much any case. Pour all the water that the kit calls for into a big kettle and boil it. Then add the malt extract. I'd boil it for 60 minutes. Then you need to chill the wort as fast as possible by putting it in a sink full of icewater, or using a wort chiller if you have one. Get the temp down to 70-80 degrees and pitch the yeast.

If it's already hopped and you are not adding more hops, then you really only need to boil it long enough to make sure it's sanitary. 60 minutes would be overkill, and a short 15 minute boil (or until it gets a hot break) would suffice.

-walker

Walker-san said:
If it's already hopped and you are not adding more hops, then you really only need to boil it long enough to make sure it's sanitary. 60 minutes would be overkill, and a short 15 minute boil (or until it gets a hot break) would suffice.

-walker

I agree. Remember, it's hopped already. This mean if you do a hard boil you will boil away the aroamatic additions that they made. 60 min boils for hops is for bittering.

Don't boil it! Those prehopped cans are NOT meant to be boiled, do not need to be boiled, won't taste as good if you do. They are already sanitized. My LHBS also agreed with this, so your guy doesn't know what he's saying...

http://byo.com/feature/634.html

Alright, guys! Many pre-hopped kits give you the option to boil. Look at the label: are they using actual hops/pellets or just hop extracts and oils? If they use actual hops and you boil, the result will be more bittering. If they use hop extracts and oils, you can only make things worse by boiling. You'll lose the flavor and aroma oils in either case and the final ale will not be exactly what was intended. If the kit was intended to be a Mild without boiling and you boiled it, the result would be closer to a Bitter.

If there was only one way to brew beer, we would all be drinking BMC!

homebrewer_99 said:
I think I'd find another drug of choice if those were my only choices...:D ;)

Sex would be my first choice... oh waht a min... sex is alread..... ahh.... nevermind.....

david_42 said:
Look at the label:

This must be the very first time I had read you say something as screwed up as "Look at the label" on a can. ON A CAN! :D

For those who don't know you generally NEVER follow the directions on a can :D Except in this case apparently (HA!)! So since I have never seen David say something like that I suppose I would.... read the label :D

Latest posts

Back