Brown stuff on the surface during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaccGaz

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first post! :)

My brother bought me a homebrew kit and I added a keg and brewed my first lager... which turned out ok. Not great but drinkable!

Anyway, after that I thought I needed to continue to use the fermentation bucket and keg to get the most out of my money. So I bought some Coopers Lager and Bitter.

On Thursday (Now being Monday) I attempted to do the bitter, but I'm wondering if there is a problem with it

Skip down to the problem below or read here what I did.

-----

I sterilised my fermentation "bucket" and equipment and washed my hands.

I started off with 2 litres of boiling water in with the can of beer and 1 KG of brewing sugars. I stirred that until the bottom of the "bucket" was no longer sticky (ie, all the ingredients had mixed).

I then topped up the bucket up to the 40 pint mark. I later read I should have done 20, stirred and then another 20. I didn't have a thermometer so I basically tried to get the water to feel room temperature (which was about 19C). The recommended temp was 21-27C.

I then stirred everything together for about 5 minutes.. which made it quite frothy. I checked my gravity which was about 1.38ish (Hard to tell because of the froth! :p)

I then added the yeast and mixed it for a few mins, making sure it all went below the froth.

I then wrapped a thick towel around the "bucket", sealed the lid and left it in my kitchen which goes from maybe 14C at worst to about 20C. Supposedly with the heat from the fermentation this should bring up the temp to 17-25C or so... which is good enough. (Is that true?)

----

I checked my tub yesterday and saw a lot of like... brown residue at the top of the bucket. It looked to me like the yeast, but much bigger and darker (Like some giant mutant yeast :p). I gave it a quick stir again...

Today, I still had the mutant yeast stuff at the top, which is sitting on a fairly thick head of foam, but I never had this with my lager.

So my question is simple... is this "mutant yeast" actually yeast thats just floated to the surface and expanded, or is it normal residue created from the process?

If it helps any... I measured the gravity and it was about 1.20, so at least something has happened.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.s. Is there something better I should be doing with my technique of starting the homebrew?

P.s.s. My biggest failure with the lager was that it would only "fizz" out of the keg for about the first second and then drip out. Is there a way for it to "fizz" out (like in real bars) all the time? Thanks again.

Read though real qucik im on the run right now but that probably yeast that clumped and floated tot the top. You probably shouldnt have opened it up and stirred it you ruined your beer dude.

No im just kidding but you dont have to worry about that you should be fine someone will give you a more complete answer I gots 2 go,

It is braun kraeusen (brown kraeusen). You are perfectly ok right now. Let it finish and then take your gravity. As for the fizz in your keg, you may need to balance your keg line. I mean you need to have the right length so your beer doesn't get foamy like that. There are threads pertaining to this on the forum, but I don't have them all rounded up so a HBT search should get you what you need. When you added double the water you needed you thinned out your batch and your gravity should reflect the lower alcohol when you finish from your starting gravity. I hope you took a starting gravity before you pitched your yeast or you will only be guessing at your ABV%.

Latest posts

Back