EKG or US Kent Goldings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonton

Reaction score
We have a dilemma here at atonofhops. I want to add EKG to the in stock varieties, but the real ones are really high priced! I've gotten really good pricing on US Kent Goldings, but what do you guys think I should do? I really would appreciate some input on this one because I don't like the idea of pulling a fast one (like my LHBS does when they sell me "EKG" and it is really the lower priced US version and they charge $3/oz).

That said, I really can't tell any difference between the two, but I know that if I'm going to sell them on the website, I want to be honest. I only have one spot available in my freezers, so which one do I buy? Any thoughts?

I'd say stock the US Kent Goldings. It's the same hop (USDA 21680) and I've never been able to tell the difference between ones grown in the U.K. or the USA.

Neither can I, and I've dealt with a lot of hops. However thier is a community amongst the homebrewers that believe in "purity". I guess I would be guilty of this myself. I am the guy that searches out the exact ingredients (even though I know my beer isn't nearly as refined as a true brewmaster's) so as to make it as perfect as I can. I am just trying to figure out which is better for the homebrew community as a whole. If I go with my gut feeling (the real thing) I may be way too overpriced and they will get freezer burn, and get tossed.

Just to clarify. If they are kent goldings then they are not US goldings right? I think Kent is a location.

There is a subtle difference between Kent Goldings and Yakima (US) Goldings. The Kent version is more woody and the Yakima version has more herbal/floral aromatics. I actually prefer the Yak Goldings, but this may be due to the fact that the Yak are likely fresher. I'm talking about whole hops here not pellets.

Goldings is one of my favorite hops and I bought 1 lb of Yak and 1 lb of Kent from HopsDirect last fall.

Just to clarify. If they are kent goldings then they are not US goldings right? I think Kent is a location.

The hop is listed as East Kent Goldings or Kent Goldings and Kent is the place in the U.K. where the the hop originated. If grown in the US, it is sold as US Goldings or US Kent Goldings. Legitimate suppliers reserve the name EKG for hops grown in Kent.

The price I would have to list EKG at is $2.50 per pond more than the US equivalent. I only have one spot on the site and freezer, so I want to get something that will sell fairly well. I guess I'm just not really sure if the average home brewer would pay the extra to get the real thing.

Some will, some won't. I, for one, more often than not don't. I can't spot the difference once it's in the kettle. There is a very subtle difference when you rub fresh cones from each variety - enough that the trained smeller can spot it in a blind test - but not so much as I'd opt for the true Kents.

Kudos to you for making an ethical decision. :mug: Me, I'd stock the US variety and label them as US-grown. Honesty is the best policy.

Cheers,

Bob

Stock the US. If people want the UK version, they'll buy them elsewhere. I'm in the 'don't really care' group. I'll use what I have or what's cheaper.

B

wow - the difference between UK and US is clear as a bell to me. So much so that I wouldn't even have guessed that they're the same hop - at least, not when used as a late hop or a dry hop. As bittering hops go, they're pretty interchangeable.

I find the US ones to be much more 'bright' and fruity, lots of fruitpunch flavours, with little to no earthyness, and a minimum of spice. EKG's are spicier, dank/earthier, and more herbal, less fruity. The have a more bitter orange/tangerine quality to the fruit that is there.

I guess I will find out. When I was stocking hops this year, I went Yakima instead of EKG. The price wasnt huge... but I realized I do not try to replicate english brews for an english crowd. I brew my beers for my crowd.

I may go back, but I think you made the right choice. Label them honest... maybe even using some of the tasting opinions above... (more herbal than the woody EKG, etc). I think many will nod and buy.

I did.

Back