The "bad advice I got from the LBHS" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sore subject? eh, not really. I just dont like the trend Ive been noticing of forum users making their LHBS folks out to be unhelpful, conceited, and/or complete buffoons. Because at the shop I work at, no one is like that. Ill readily admit the owner might give some advice to people that I might not do myself, but that is because there are many ways to do things, not because the man doesnt know how to brew beer. In fact, that couldnt be further from the truth!

A lot of the advice we give might be catered more towards newbies, and advanced brewers might find more help online. And sure, there is probably a lot of strange advice out there - perhaps the employees were idiots, but I havent heard anything at my shop that would make me jump in the conversation and challenge them.

BTW, the LHBS bashing Ive seen other places than just this thread. Sorry if I took my defensive stand out on you...

I was not trying to discredit the LHBSs advice. The LHBS has more exposure to quantities of small scale brewers than most other sources of information. I agree that there are many ways to do things, and that's part of what my original post was about, not bashing. I was merely presenting an alternative method that was presented to me and reasons why I wouldn't use it.

My favorite one is this: A LHBS owner said to me, "You should bottle straight out of the carboy. Bottling buckets are known for contamination and there's no way to truly sanitize them. If you use a bottling bucket, you WILL get an infection."

On one hand, I see where he's coming from about minimizing contamination by eliminating the bottling bucket. But, I also think there's no way to thoroughly mix in priming sugar and not kick up any sediment.

I think a person is pretty safe calling advice bad when it is just not true.
Granted, the interpretation of what was actually said may be off, but to tell a new brewer he WILL get an infection using a method so many people use without incident is wrong, therefore, bad advice.

I agree that it is harder to clean a bottling spigot than to clean a bucket/carboy. Do you disagree that is is harder to ensure an even dilution of priming solution in a carboy than in a bucket?

Never tried it, nor do I intend to. I made a Counterpressure bottle filler yesterday. Bottling bucket goes bye-bye.

I agree that it is harder to clean a bottling spigot than to clean a bucket/carboy. Do you disagree that is is harder to ensure an even dilution of priming solution in a carboy than in a bucket?

Why would it be hard to do it in a carboy? Are you stirring it in with your hand in the bucket?

Why would it be hard to do it in a carboy? Are you stirring it in with your hand in the bucket?

I think hes talking a carboy that still has some sediment in it. If you rack to a separate carboy, its essentially identical to a bucket without a spigot.

Why is that bad advice? If your basement is 55 in the winter then you probably do need to have your temps up for an ale. Knowing the temperature you ferment at is crucial for trying to repeat a good recipe.

Well, it was 90 degrees out at the time, I had just finished purchasing ingredients for an India Red Ale that would get fruited to heck with an estery ferm, and I had merely dropped the word "basement" in a sentence. Other than that, yes I agree temp is crucial, but not with the info he had. :)

I don't really have a LHBS so I can't really comment on that but I will say that I take my bottling spickit apart and clean it when Im done with it and then leave the parts soaking in star san until the next time I need it and I have not had any problems to date.

I hear you man... I was a software consultant for 8 years, I'm well versed in idiot customers. However, look what happened... he left YOUR store JUST AS CLUELESS as he entered it. I think that's the gripe people are going to have with your story. This thread started to vent against LHBS employees because they are expected, if not required, to know more than the average homebrewer. The average homebrewer, unfortunately, is "clueless", as you say, and it's your job to make them smarter than when they entered your store. This is why you even have threads like this... we've ALL been treated like second-class citizens at a LHBS before, and it's just a shame. He's going to try that Hefe, hate it because it's nothing like what he had in mind, probably never come back to your store, and may even get out of brewing entirely. All of those are a crying shame.... and you could've avoided it.

That's all... I know it's hard to have patience with the same noob questions 40 times a day, but if you only wanted to deal with educated beer connoisseurs, you need to go tend bar at a beer snob joint instead of working at a LHBS... my two cents, anyway.

I would have just told the guy that Dark Lord wasn't doable by Christmas... and explained why. But he could have had a robust porter done by Christmas no problem, and that would have been WAY closer to what he was looking forward to having/sharing...

Not to only quote you, but I had to quote someone. To the people responding to my oversimplified summary of an encounter with a customer: I was summarizing. I helped the guy out as much as I could. Some customers guide the conversation, even if you try to explain things to them, they change the subject and aren't interested in what you're telling them. I understand that some of you are sore about experiences with LHBSes, and that's too bad. People are just people. Sometimes they give out bad advice or gloss over important points, and misunderstandings happen.

I was actually very helpful, in my opinion, to the customer. I told him that a beer like Dark Lord would not only cost over $50 (he said he was on a budget and flinched when I said $50), but would likely take at least a month or so until it tastes good, he became more interested in a beer that would be ready quickly. I told him that I really like Milds, Hefeweizens, and other session beers that are ready quickly. He said he'd be interested in a hefe, so we talked about that. I was simply summarizing, I didn't intend for my allegory to be a bragging session or show of superiority. I know that I'm not the most knowledgeable person about every single subject related to homebrewing, kegging, wine making, sake making, cider making, soda making, hop growing, and all the other minutiae that constitute my store's business operations, and I'm pretty ok with that. The fact of the matter is that my employer saw a quality in me that convinced them to hire me for the job that I now perform. I'm sorry that it upsets some of you that an employee would ever avoid pouring every little bit of knowledge they have crammed in their brains (and trust me, it's probably more than you think we have) into a customer's ear every time said customer walks through the door. Some people really don't want help, they just want to buy things and leave. It seems like a lot of you are like that, and that's fine. Just don't get pissed at me when I ask you if you have any questions, I'm just trying to do my job.

(also, it's the internet, take it more seriously).

In regards to sanitation, I am referring more to the spigot on the bottling bucket that can harbor bacteria and crud. Not the bucket itself but the spigot. Personally I never had a problem with mine, but I just got into the habit of using a carboy to bottle from and I feel more comfortable with it than passing my beer thru that spigot.

How do you bottle from a carboy? What kind of set up do you need?

Not to only quote you, but I had to quote someone. To the people responding to my oversimplified summary of an encounter with a customer: I was summarizing. I helped the guy out as much as I could. Some customers guide the conversation, even if you try to explain things to them, they change the subject and aren't interested in what you're telling them. I understand that some of you are sore about experiences with LHBSes, and that's too bad. People are just people. Sometimes they give out bad advice or gloss over important points, and misunderstandings happen.

I was actually very helpful, in my opinion, to the customer. I told him that a beer like Dark Lord would not only cost over $50 (he said he was on a budget and flinched when I said $50), but would likely take at least a month or so until it tastes good, he became more interested in a beer that would be ready quickly. I told him that I really like Milds, Hefeweizens, and other session beers that are ready quickly. He said he'd be interested in a hefe, so we talked about that. I was simply summarizing, I didn't intend for my allegory to be a bragging session or show of superiority. I know that I'm not the most knowledgeable person about every single subject related to homebrewing, kegging, wine making, sake making, cider making, soda making, hop growing, and all the other minutiae that constitute my store's business operations, and I'm pretty ok with that. The fact of the matter is that my employer saw a quality in me that convinced them to hire me for the job that I now perform. I'm sorry that it upsets some of you that an employee would ever avoid pouring every little bit of knowledge they have crammed in their brains (and trust me, it's probably more than you think we have) into a customer's ear every time said customer walks through the door. Some people really don't want help, they just want to buy things and leave. It seems like a lot of you are like that, and that's fine. Just don't get pissed at me when I ask you if you have any questions, I'm just trying to do my job.

Ah... well, when you put it like that, you do seem like a good employee with a flighty customer. Sorry man, we only have the words in "print" to go by, no offense intended!! :)

I am one who completely understood what you said originally. I deal with all manner of people all day as well and it can get pretty challenging, especially with those customers who want to spend the entire time telling you how much they know. Some customers will not be helped. But, I hope you can see why some people here interpreted your OP a certain way.

Yes, I can certainly see that, and I know no one is really intending offense. Hugs all around :)

Now let's get some more stories of bad advice! At a store I used to go to, the owner would go on and on about "Zorghum." I have no idea why he thought the s was a z, but he was sorta weird anyway.

I find when I get a tip or technique on here and I go to get the equipment to utilize at LHBS they tell me I should do something else and I COMPLETELY don't listen to them. I bet they are annoyed.

I have been using a bottle bucket /spigot for years and never an issue. I just take it apart and soak in hot soapy water or some oxy clean and still all good.

Can employees of LHBSes share idiotic things customers say to them? Because I got a real gem today - a guy wanted to make what I eventually determined was his conception of an imperial porter. He then said, "well, I really want to make something like Dark Lord from Three Floyd's..do you have a recipe for that?"

After I looked up a clone recipe and started going through what would be required, he realized it'd cost more than $50, because, ya know, there's like 12 lbs of fermentables for an extract batch, etc. Then, he revealed that he wanted it to be ready by Christmas! I didn't have the patience to explain why that was impossible, and directed him to a Bavarian Hefeweizen.

Some customers are pretty clueless.

Obviously you can, but you really should not. Think for a second about your customers finding out you tell stories about them on a public forum. Not good in business!

Back