How Long does Cider Fermentation take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martaino

Reaction score
Okay I pressed 6 gallons of apple cyder, started off using two cutting boards as a press and them C clamps, one of the cutting boards broke on me right off at the get go. So stuck with A sh** load of apple gunk im a call it apple gunk cause I dont what the laimen term is for prosses apples is. Any ways in stead of letting litteraly hours of my hard work picking, slicing and then prossesing the apples in a food prosseser go to waist. I get an idea!!!!! My sixth senceses kick in and my instinct takes over!!!!. making sure my "Carboid" is clean, my hands are sanatised. I grab one heaping hand full of brown apple gunk, and slapper into a 4 layered cheese cloth And squeez!!!! the hell outta it!!!!!!!!
Some time later one full 6 gallon bucket of freshly Squeezed Apple Cyder.
I litteraly felt as if i could squeeze blood from a stone after that.

So I added 2kgs of sugar, one package of champainge yeast and lett it brew

the tempature has been both warm and kinda cold pple keep turning the heat off on me. I was wondering how long should I let the prosses take.
I do not have a hydrometer and dont plann on getting one. is their any way to tell if it is done other than using the meeter???

:tank::drunk::mug::confused:

Do you have an airlock? A good indicator is when the bubbling slows way down again. I'd give it a taste once you think its done, since the end flavor is all up to you anyway, and you can decide whether to leave it for longer or not at that point.

Hahaha, I was trying to hold back posting comments like those...I feel better now that you guys have said them.

Well, negative comments aside (as they've already been shared haha) buy a hydrometer. Why do you say you don't plan on buying one? They're quite cheap and I have no idea why someone would be against using one.

Fermentation times rely on the conditions of fermentation. You say people keep turning the heat off, heat fluctuations are bad but not killer for brewing, but the cooler the temps the slower the fermentation. However, some people argue that fermenting at the lower end of a yeasts tolerance creates a cleaner brew. Without the proper equipment there really isn't any definites as to when it is done. Airlock activity will give you implications, but bubbling could occur with and without fermentation and fermentation could occur with and without bubbling.

Oh my god Tone Def that was hilarious! I'm going to be using that in the future for sure. martaino, just keep the carboy next to the refrigerator. The heat coming off the bottom/sides of the fridge will help keep it warm enough. Unless it's getting down into the 40's I think the yeast will be fine.

Latest posts

Back