HELP!! Let's talk screen printing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, question for the experts who know something about screen printing.

I think something sounds fishy here, I'd like confirmation.

Recently I went ahead and went through the process to get my brewery logo printed on some pint glasses.

Everything was good to go until Friday of this past week, when the art department e-mailed me and said they had a problem with the logo. They said with the pint glass I chose, a 3 color screen print would be hard to do without a "industry standard" 1/16 error possible on the glasses. They said however, if I changed the style of the glass, it would not be a problem.

HUH?

They sent a picture and description of the "recommended" glassware. It so happens to be about 50 cents more expensive PER GLASS, yet the glass style is exactly the same.

Am I getting taken here? Does the glass really matter? Isn't all glass pretty much the same?

I do a lot of printing, and a lot of screen printing. There is going to be a margin of shift with the image, and the more colors you have, the harder it is going to be to keep them lined up.

As for the different types of glasses, i have no idea. Maybe one has less of a curve than the other.

How many are you doing? If it is a bunch, then .50 would be a lot, but if you are doing a few, than I would pay the price to have it done right.

p.s. If anyone has any printing needs.. lemme know (we do paper printing mostly, but a lot of promotional stuff and shirts.)

Are the glasses tapered differently, in my limited experience doing this as part of an art project, it is much harder to get the images on curved surfaces than flat ones. So thy may have you using glasses that are tapered differently as it may be easier for them to put the diagram on a more cylindrical glass than one with a deep taper that would be shaped more like a cone. Take a look at the glasses I bet one has less of a taper and thicker glass down near the bottom.

You decide:

The one I picked
http://www.inkhead.com/drinkware/beverage-glasses/16oz-beverage-mixing-glass_pv-3442-0.html

imageProd.asp
http://www.inkhead.com/UniversalInc...?prodid=3442&pitid=1&width=300&imgquality=100

The one they recommended:
http://www.inkhead.com/drinkware/beverage-glasses/16oz-mixing-glass_pv-7323-0.html
imageProd.asp

All told, almost $1 more expensive per glass. I think they are trying to bone me. It just makes no sense.

They both look pretty much the same, to my untrained eye anyway.

Not only do they look the same to me, but the glass you picked looks to be a nicer style. I don't understand. .

It looks like they do a whole lot of stuff--maybe glassware isn't their specialty. A company that specializes in glassware may better suit your needs. Perhaps their equipment is better calibrated to the glassware they specified (I am assuming they are printing ink directly onto the glassware).

Of course this is a lot of maybes and perhapses...I would call them up and find out exactly what's going on. They care enough to let you know that what you selected may not work out perfectly, so I'm sure they will work with you until you are completely satisfied.

Are you getting your avatar logo printed on the glasses? Perhaps there is a way you can alter the trapping so there is a 1/16" inch error margin.

-Jon

Shop around ... see if you can't find local. Screen printers are a dime a dozen and all of them are a pain in the a$$ if you ask me. I've worked in the printing industry for about 12 years now, and screen printers are always the biggest pains to work with.

If you want to get any where with them, you've got to hard-ball them. Right now, printing is a buyers market.

Tell them to print it and print it correctly or you'll find someone else that can and will. If they tell you no, then find someone else that will.

alright...

here is what i got 195.42 + 108.00 in setup = 303.42 before shipping.. I will try and get you an estimate on the shipping.

looks like they did SN celebration ale glass.. so i think they can handle the screens.
f0eb00c7-3ddc-493f-83dc-4c210af519f0.jpg

EDIT
Ok, the shipping estimate is 60 bucks.. for a total around 362.42. I will keep looking to see if i find any better.

aekdbbop said:
alright...

here is what i got 195.42 + 108.00 in setup = 303.42 before shipping.. I will try and get you an estimate on the shipping.

looks like they did SN celebration ale glass.. so i think they can handle the screens.
f0eb00c7-3ddc-493f-83dc-4c210af519f0.jpg

EDIT
Ok, the shipping estimate is 60 bucks.. for a total around 362.42. I will keep looking to see if i find any better.

Thanks for looking. I went ahead an did it with another company. That quote was 361 shipped, so yours was really close.

I'm now going to tell the other company to shove it.

Back