Help with Frigidaire side x side and STC1000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrmojo

Reaction score
I just started to convert a Frigidaire side by side. I want to make the freezer side a kegerator and the fridge side a fermentor.

My question. I have taken apart the control panels but not the back panel. Do I have everything I need to wire the freezer? Any suggestions for wiring? I will use one STC1000 for the freezer side to control the cooling. Another STC1000 to control heat and cooling on the fridge side. I have no problem wiring the fridge side. Could use a lot of help with the freezer.

First two pics are the freezer side. the other is the switch and light on the fridge side.

Thanks!

photo 4.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 5.JPG

It should be pretty much the same for freezer and fridge, simply a hot "in" and a thermostatically controlled "out". The output may have multiple wires and should be kept tied together (just treat them as a single wire). You will need to remove these from the original thermostat and run them through your STC. Here is a link to someone that did exactly what your trying to do. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fridgenstein-side-side-kegerator-fermentation-chamber-289241/

OK Thank you. Found what I was looking for. I have the freezer part down no problem.

Now the fridge side. I don't have an electric thermostat on the fridge side. It uses a mechanical thermostat to mechanically open and close the damper to the freezer. So no wires there. I have a second STC for the fridge side. The cold will be using fans (push/pull) to move air from the freezer with new holes cut in the bulkhead.

So I can use the light's neutral wire to complete the circuit? And if I add heat (light in a can)?

Also, for the fans (push/pull), should these be wired in parallel?

Mrmojo said:
OK Thank you. Found what I was looking for. I have the freezer part down no problem. Now the fridge side. I don't have an electric thermostat on the fridge side. It uses a mechanical thermostat to mechanically open and close the damper to the freezer. So no wires there. I have a second STC for the fridge side. The cold will be using fans (push/pull) to move air from the freezer with new holes cut in the bulkhead. So I can use the light's neutral wire to complete the circuit? And if I add heat (light in a can)? Also, for the fans (push/pull), should these be wired in parallel? Thanks :tank:

It's been a while since I finished the fridge, so I'll do my best. In the end, neither original switch actually does anything. In case of the fridge, the STC uses a parallel hot circuit to rub a fan I fixed over the bottom hole in the wall to suck cold air in from the bottom. The damper was ripped out and I simply placed a sliding trap door over the hole because the freezer fan will blow cold air in. Closing it limits the amount of cold air that moves from one side or the other / helpful when I need to keep the fridge in the warmer side, but it won't stop all cold air.

Anyway, another hot circuit runs from the STC hot connected to the reptile heater with another fan to circulate the warm air inside. Take a close look at the wiring diagram and it should make some sense.

Back