80 Quart Stainless Kettle with Lid for $55 plus shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pot is diameter is 17.5" and 17.5" high.

Looks like it is closer to 18 gallons.

Still works for me.

George

Thanks! I agree, very nice kettle! For the $ of course!

Just ordered...only 64.49 shipped Fedex to a business address in Jersey....What a deal!
Thanks again!

EDIT...Was checking out the site and realized they have the "110 quart" for $59.46 plus $11.01 shipping for a total of 70.47....bought one that size also...my kettle collection is out of control...I need therapy!

Looks like a very affordable basic pot. I like the size. I don't 'need' to go that big if I could.... I would toss out at least 3 of my brewing related vessels.

Also, It looks like thin steel which means it would be super easy to drill.

I just measured the thickness 6 times and averaged them.

This is approximate, but I get 0.75 mm, which puts it in between 22 and 23 gauge steel.

I will be able to get a better measurement when I drill the side for the valve next week.

Discussed in detail above.....

Sounds like the 20 gal. pot is actually 18, but they do have a larger 110 qt. for only like 5 bucks more.

I was wondering if anyone has actually filled it up with 20 gal of liquid, rather than just doing the math for a cylinder.

edit: when I re-read my post it sounds like I'm coming off like a jerk, that is not my intention!

Nah...not at all. Using the OP's measurements, the kettle is 18.22 gal. The maths don't lie...and if glazarou can measure .75mm, I trust the 17 1/2" x 17 1/2" is reasonable as well.
Thanks!

I have not filled it yet. My goal was to be able to do 10 gallon batches, maybe 15, but we will see.

For my inargural batch I am going to brew a 10 gallon IPA, put 5 gallons into the fermenter, then start the boil again and add LME and hops to make a DIPA. If anyone knows why this might be a bad idea I am all ears.

Wilserbrewer, I appreciate your faith in my measuring ability. Currently trying to sell my blueberry farmer brother on your bags to use in the process of making jelly.

Good deal thanks for the link! I just ordered one too, I was waiting for a reason to upgrade!

I just got one of these. Total with shipping to NJ was about $74.

Took 4 days to get here.

Pretty nice. Going to drill it and put a valve on next week.

I don't work for or with the company that sells them.

http://www.roundeyesupply.com/Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot-w-Cover-45-Inch-p/900650.htm?CartID=1

Thanks for this link. I've been wanting to buy equipment for all grain. Want to do five to 15 gallon batches. Pulled the trigger on 2 of the 80qts. for HLT and MLT and 1 - 110 qt. for BK. Awesome deal!:rockin: Next purchase will be fittings/site glasses/valves and thermometers.

I just measured the thickness 6 times and averaged them.

This is approximate, but I get 0.75 mm, which puts it in between 22 and 23 gauge steel.

I will be able to get a better measurement when I drill the side for the valve next week.

According to Blichmann's website theirs are 18 gauge...

I had to look it up since I was not familiar with using gauge as a measurement. so this is a bit thinner...

I hope you update this, and the rest of you, with your progress...

The 110 quart interests me... of course that means I would have to replace all my fermenters... HA!

Just got a call that my pot is on back order :( but this deal is definitely worth the wait!

Yeah, same here with my three, but yesterday two of them were ready to ship. Still patiently waiting, just a little disgruntled with the changing story.

This looks a lot like the Concord pot I got on Amazon. It was listed at 20gal but measured out to about 18-18.5 gal, apparently it was some sort of manufacturing error. Naturally I was a bit miffed so Concord dropped 15% off the price making it about $100 shipped. I wonder if these pots are from the same lot, the lid that's pictured is exactly the same. The quality of the pot is fantastic, zero complaints there.

Great find, wish I had seen this before I ordered. Definitely the best price on an 18ish gal SS pot you'll find anywhere by a mile.

This looks a lot like the Concord pot I got on Amazon. It was listed at 20gal but measured out to about 18-18.5 gal, apparently it was some sort of manufacturing error. Naturally I was a bit miffed so Concord dropped 15% off the price making it about $100 shipped. I wonder if these pots are from the same lot, the lid that's pictured is exactly the same. The quality of the pot is fantastic, zero complaints there.

Great find, wish I had seen this before I ordered. Definitely the best price on an 18ish gal SS pot you'll find anywhere by a mile.

Same factory more than likely but someone measured that it's only .75mm thick; 'Concord' is .9-1mm. It's thin but a weldless fitting will work. Welding won't be an option on something that thin. The handles on that are also attached cheaply. A couple spot welds won't hold up to 10gal of wort.

Same factory more than likely but someone measured that it's only .75mm thick; 'Concord' is 1mm. It's thin but a weldless fitting will work. Welding won't be an option on something that thin. The handles on that are also attached cheaply. A couple spot welds won't hold up to 10gal of wort.

Gotcha. Maybe it's the same template but with different steel or something?

I drilled the pot and put a weldless valve on this week. Had a little trouble with the HF bits that I used.

I am going to brew a batch either tomorrow or Monday.

Sorry to hear people are getting backorders. My pot shipped quickly.

I was thinking of picking up 3 kegs to turn into keggles and do an eherms. Maybe 3 of these would be a better option.

Well look what arrived today!

Very nice kettle! Thickness seems on par w/ my Bayou Classic 44 qt. Yes, this is a thinner kettle, but unless you plan on tossing it around the brewery, I would expect it to last a very, very long time! Regarding thicker kettles, I also have an older Volrath 20 gal., it is like tank armor, but handling it can be a chore...let us be reminded that lighter has advantages as well!

Fit and finish seems great! I am pleased for the money spent!

Settling in w/ the rest of the pack...actually another 20 gal. has gone AWOL.

Hey Wilser... you might want to talk to someone about your 'pot habit'. :cross:

WIN!

Seriously dude...I have 4, only use 2, and I thought I was bad...

Speaking of which, anyone need a 8g Aluminum HLT pre-drilled for two 110v heating elements and a 1/2" bulkhead? Will sell it to you REAL cheap!

The handles on that are also attached cheaply. A couple spot welds won't hold up to 10gal of wort.

can anyone who owns one of these confirm that the handles are spot welded only, and no rivets are used?

mind you, i don't care too much about handle strength. one of the reasons i went to a single tier brew stand was to use pumps and never have to lift a full pot again. the wort won't be transported by hand until it's in a carboy.

The handles on that are also attached cheaply. A couple spot welds won't hold up to 10gal of wort.

Well Spike...it is actually 5 spot welds per each handle side...or 20 spot welds total...so how you say it won't hold up to 10 gal. of wort kinda troubles me?:confused: So just for kicks, I put the pot on the floor and kicked my feet up on the couch and did five push ups on the kettles handles, I weigh 185 ahem...the pot could care less and I still have all my teeth...

Just for the record, I have an old Volrath 15 gal made in Shoboygan WI, looks to have been a very expensive kettle at the time....and guess what, the spot welded handles have held up fine for 20 - 30 years of commercial abuse and misuse!

Yes, I agree, the handles are attached economically, but for a $55 dollar kettle...let's not throw out the baby so quickly please!

Well I say it as a word of caution. The kettle is put together with one thought in mind; as cheap as possible. The kettle is very thin (.75mm) and the spot welding on the radius of the round handle is far from optimal (your Volrath has a flattened area where the spot welds are for a reason).

With all that being said would I trust carrying it around with 10 gallons of hot wort? No way. It'll work great with a pump but wanted to warn people of the possible danger.

Thanks for the warning Spike...I'm sure you mean well...I truly doubt there is any real danger here...but thanks all the same...cheers!

Oh, and yes Spike, I agree these inexpensive kettles are thin stainless at .75mm....but lest we forget that several years ago Northern Brewer offered the Italian kettles that were all the rage at a couple / three hundred dollars each, and they were only .60 mm....and here is the kicker, they had no handles...as in zero, nada nothing, no handles at all!

Whats the problem here...these things only cost 55 bucks!

I agree that pound for pound this is one of the best deals out there on a bare bones SS kettle. But the riveted handles do man me a little nervous.

I can't even imagine .6mm. We tried welding .8mm and it warped and burned through too easily and we gave up.

I guess you could drill the handles and put some stainless rivets in there. But then that might lead to the idea of picking the thing up with boiling liquid in it.

I did some pushups on mine too, and I weigh 250. I am just glad I can contribute to the empirical analysis of these handles.

Thanks! I agree, very nice kettle! For the $ of course!

Just ordered...only 64.49 shipped Fedex to a business address in Jersey....What a deal!
Thanks again!

EDIT...Was checking out the site and realized they have the "110 quart" for $59.46 plus $11.01 shipping for a total of 70.47....bought one that size also...my kettle collection is out of control...I need therapy!

We all need therapy. That's why we're here.

Speaking of which, anyone need a 8g Aluminum HLT pre-drilled for two 110v heating elements and a 1/2" bulkhead? Will sell it to you REAL cheap!

Define "cheap" please.:D

110 qts for 70 bucks shipped? Stop trying to feed my addiction lol.

Yeah it may be thin, but geeze, at that price point its terribly hard to beat, especially for an eherms or any other system thats stationary.

110 qts for 70 bucks shipped? Stop trying to feed my addiction lol.

Yeah it may be thin, but geeze, at that price point its terribly hard to beat, especially for an eherms or any other system thats stationary.

Well don't get too excited, the supposed 110 qt / 50cm (19.7") pot is status unicorn or backordered, I spoke w/ Missy in Georgia and they don't know when it will arrive, but claim it will. I have a $70 charge with them for the pot and need to decide if I will wait for the pot, or request a refund :(

Pulled the trigger on one of these (18 gallon) Saturday. Spoke with Missy earlier today and she let me know that they are on back order until 6/3, so we shall see.

I guess they haven't updated their website (says 142 in stock...) Oh well, for the price it can't be beat, and I'm won't even be home for another few weeks anyway!

I just brewed my first batch with the 80 quart pot. I had 12 gallons in it and prior to boil decided to test the handles. All went well. It was a brew day full of complications, but the kettle performed well.

Back