NB Dead Ringer: A solid entry in IPA's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, with warmer weather rolling around for us in the Northeast, I'm wanting to do a more refreshing lighter beer (Caribou Slobber and Irish Red on tap now) for the warmer months ahead. I can't say I have been a big fan of IPA's mostly due to the fact I can't find any that aren't overwhelmingly bitter, and the finish being so "dry". Even Great Lakes Commodore Perry that people especially like does not sit well with me. My interest was re-ignited when I went to the Marietta Brewery for the house Buck(I)PA. It was refreshing, hoppy, and was bitter, but in a good way.
SO, is the Dead Ringer a good way to get into IPA's and a good warm weather drink? Everybody loves it, but it seems everyone these days is loving the heavily hopped IPA's.
This will be my 5th extract, and I feel I am starting to get the hang of it and learning from my mistakes and want this one to be the best brew yet.

It's basically a clone of Bell's Two-Hearted ale. Have you tried that beer? It should be something that you can get in Ohio. I personally think it is good, but not overly bitter like it sounds you like. It does finish dry(1.010).

I think Bell's Two-Hearted (and the Dead Ringer clone) is a fantastic beer, but then I like IPAs. I find it to be a bit sweeter and less bitter than many IPAs and that people who generally don't enjoy IPAs often like it. So if you're looking to get into IPAs then give it a shot. I've brewed it both summer and winter and it's a winner anytime of year but I wouldn't classify it as a "warm weather" drink -- if you're looking for something specifically suited to a hot day maybe an American wheat, hefeweisse or saison would be better?

On the other hand there's nothing wrong with sticking to brewing beers you love to drink -- if you don't like IPAs you'll save a ton on hops so maybe you should try not to aquire the taste!

I just ran out to the local store who is supposed to carry it, however, its nowhere to be found. As far as liking IPA's, I liked the BuckIPA I drank, but the others not so much, so theres that line, like Miller Lite, Bud Light, Busch Light, Coors Light. Pretty much the same to me but each one so different.
IPA's are apparently the "in" thing these days, with so many possibilities for HB. Variety is the fruit of life and I'm wanting to make my homebrewing journey just a bit more fruitful.
I've got 5 gallons of Skeeter Pee carbing as we speak so if the DR isn't a winner for a thirst quenching beer, the SP sure will be. I love this hobby.

Bells 2 Hearted is an awesome IPA. I love the single hop character from Centennial, it has some esters, and although firmly in the IPA range of bitterness, its pretty smooth. The NB recipe has just 3 ingredients, and couldn't be much simpler. Very easy to make.

I just ran out to the local store who is supposed to carry it, however, its nowhere to be found. As far as liking IPA's, I liked the BuckIPA I drank, but the others not so much, so theres that line, like Miller Lite, Bud Light, Busch Light, Coors Light. Pretty much the same to me but each one so different.
IPA's are apparently the "in" thing these days, with so many possibilities for HB. Variety is the fruit of life and I'm wanting to make my homebrewing journey just a bit more fruitful.
I've got 5 gallons of Skeeter Pee carbing as we speak so if the DR isn't a winner for a thirst quenching beer, the SP sure will be. I love this hobby.

I wasn't really a hop-head of any kind until I forced myself to brew the Northern Brewer Evil Twin recipe. Now, I still wouldn't like HARSH bitterness (which I think was a lot of the ones I was used to getting), but I now even IIPA's (Hopslam was great, as were a couple local ones I had in Southern California last fall).

So if you want to like hoppy beers, make yourself something like that with smooth late-hop additions and it may adjust your palate...if you want to save money on hops, DON'T! ;) (Now I find myself buying half-pounds of hops at a time!)

The Dead Ringer turned out fantastic for me and has gotten many compliments. I have now started using the kit as a base recipe from which to do experiments from like turning it into an IIPA, changing hops, etc. Seems like a good way to learn how some changes in ingredients can effect a beer.....this is the fun of this hobby!

Since I'm not an IPA genius, I went and picked up some DFH 90 Minute IIPA since I couldn't find any Two Hearted . Its ok to me. Not great, not bad, just ok. I have to drink this stuff really cold cause as it warms the hoppiness/floral notes become overwhelmingly suffocating and bitter, guessing since its an IIPA. I finished it off because I can't leave any soldiers behind. Thats my rule. I know for sure I would not enjoy putting away a keg of 90 minute.
Compared to Two Hearted/Dead Ringer, how do these beers differ from the 90m?
As far as saving money......we all know better. If you don't buy hops you will end up buying something else. Lifes to short to go cheap on brew.

EHV said:
Since I'm not an IPA genius, I went and picked up some DFH 90 Minute IIPA since I couldn't find any Two Hearted . Its ok to me. Not great, not bad, just ok. I have to drink this stuff really cold cause as it warms the hoppiness/floral notes become overwhelmingly suffocating and bitter, guessing since its an IIPA. I finished it off because I can't leave any soldiers behind. Thats my rule. I know for sure I would not enjoy putting away a keg of 90 minute.
Compared to Two Hearted/Dead Ringer, how do these beers differ from the 90m?
As far as saving money......we all know better. If you don't buy hops you will end up buying something else. Lifes to short to go cheap on brew.

Two Hearted is much more balanced and less bitter (and much less alcohol than the 90 minute). It does not have overwhelming tastes of any kind. While I am an IPA fan now, I fell in love with Two Hearted Ale before I knew what IPA stood for...and it continues to be my favorite beer with nothing else even coming close. I do not think the 90 minute IPA is a good comparison at all.

Mostly what you already know: IPA vs IIPA. There's a difference. And the DF is continously hopped, its probably one of the beers that started the hoppy craze.

I think of 2H as almost more of a gateway IPA for people who enjoy pale ales, but not necessarily many IPA's. Its not piney, not resinous, and the bitterness is smoother than sharp. Citrus and medium esters. But its still an IPA. It was my entry into them anyway. Now I firmly like the IPA style and sometimes venture into the mega hopped brews.

I appreciate the input guys. I've debated this all day and I believe I am going to hold off until I can get my hands on some Two Hearted to get a first hand opinion. Possibly do this brew this fall. I will most likely do a Hefeweizen or a Wheat with fruit for the days in the sun.
Thanks again for all the input.

If you want a cheaper and more modest tasting IPA, try their Chinook IPA.. most say it's on the fringe of being a pale ale or an IPA. Definately NOT for hopheads

If you do get a hold of 2H, save the dregs from 2-3 bottles and 2-3x stepped yeast starter (1 cup of wort to wake up the yeasties). I think the Bells yeast has a lot to do with getting the clone right. First half of fermentation at 63-64 and second half at 66-67F and it's very close.

BTW, my wife loves 2H. The only IPA shes responded positively to.

solbes said:
If you do get a hold of 2H, save the dregs from 2-3 bottles and 2-3x stepped yeast starter (1 cup of wort to wake up the yeasties). I think the Bells yeast has a lot to do with getting the clone right. First half of fermentation at 63-64 and second half at 66-67F and it's very close.

BTW, my wife loves 2H. The only IPA shes responded positively to.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but it seems it has run it's course, so here goes:

Is there somewhere I can go to learn how to harvest yeast from these beers? I have no clue how it is done.

EDIT: and I read that Bells uses the same yeast in all ales. Is that feasible?

Ridire carry on, I don't mind.

I am leaving shortly to make the drive to another town to pick up some Bell's Two Hearted. The things we do for beer. :ban:

I'm sure you can search for it, but I'll give you my two cents as I've harvested Bells twice. First was from a Best Brown. Second from 2H. They use the same yeast in their beer with just a few exceptions.

Give the bottles a few days of fridge time so that the yeast settles back down to the bottom. Carefully pour out the beer into a glass, leaving the bottom 1/2" of so of dregs. Some people sanitize the bottle lip with StarSan or a lighter (I have not). Prepare a small yeast starter by boiling 1 cup of water with 1/8 cup of DME for 5 minutes. Cool to mid 60's and pour in dregs of 2-3 bottles of the beer you are harvesting from. Put on stir plate or shake intermittently throughout the day. You don't want an airlock here as the yeast needs oxygen. Cover with sanitized aluinum foil. I generally let it go at least 2 days, maybe 3 to wake up the yeast.

Then step up to double the volume. Boil 2 cups of water with 0.3 cups of DME (stronger gravity) for 5 minutes. Cool and pitch into starter. Wait another 2-3 days. Then add your last addition with 1 quart of water and 0.6 cups of DME. Wait 2 days (you should yeast on the bottom at this point if not earlier). Stick it in the fridge for a couple of days to settle the yeast. Decant and discard starter beer, and the remaining slurry is ready to be pitched to your beer.

Keep everything sanitary and you should be good to go. Kind of a fun way to expand the hobby.

Two Hearted is great. Not sure on a whole keg yet, but definitely drinkable.

Maybe I will reconsider. These are going down way to easy.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but it seems it has run it's course, so here goes:

Is there somewhere I can go to learn how to harvest yeast from these beers? I have no clue how it is done.

EDIT: and I read that Bells uses the same yeast in all ales. Is that feasible?

Not sure how true it is but I have heard and read that Bells uses something very similar to (if not) wyeast 1272 as their house strain. Many have used it and reported it to be close. I'll be trying it with my THA clone next week. Just food for thought.

brew2enjoy said:
Not sure how true it is but I have heard and read that Bells uses something very similar (if not) wyeast 1272 as their house strain. Many have used it and reported it to be close. I'll be trying it with my THA clone next week. Just food for thought.

Good to know. Maybe I'll try that with my next brew and see how it goes. I'm a relative noob, though, and have only used dry yeast. Maybe I should try a Wyeast before I leap into harvesting from bottles.

EHV said:
Hey guys, with warmer weather rolling around for us in the Northeast, I'm wanting to do a more refreshing lighter beer (Caribou Slobber and Irish Red on tap now) for the warmer months ahead. I can't say I have been a big fan of IPA's mostly due to the fact I can't find any that aren't overwhelmingly bitter, and the finish being so "dry". Even Great Lakes Commodore Perry that people especially like does not sit well with me. My interest was re-ignited when I went to the Marietta Brewery for the house Buck(I)PA. It was refreshing, hoppy, and was bitter, but in a good way.
SO, is the Dead Ringer a good way to get into IPA's and a good warm weather drink? Everybody loves it, but it seems everyone these days is loving the heavily hopped IPA's.
This will be my 5th extract, and I feel I am starting to get the hang of it and learning from my mistakes and want this one to be the best brew yet.

I just brewed this a few weeks ago. I used the AG recipe and bought the ingredients locally. It's a good beer, it's a bit sweeter than the IPA's I like. If you're not into the hardcore bitter IPA's this one is good for you. It does have a good hoppy aroma. I would recommend it!

Back