Fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybasementbrew

Reaction score
Have been reading a lot about fermentation temps. I just made a brew OG was 1.072 I used US-05 it is currently at 68 degrees. What would be optimal temp for this? I read 66, 68, 70, and even 72. Packet says 59-72.

66-68 is a good range for this yeast, but it really depends what you are making and how you want it to turn out. although US-05 is a relatively clean yeast, that range should give you just a touch a yeast flavor. go ~62 if you want a super-clean fermentation.

and just as fermentation is slowing down, about 3-4 days after pitching, feel free to crank up temps a few degrees to help out the yeast. you won't create any off-flavors at that point.

sweetcell said:
66-68 is a good range for this yeast, but it really depends what you are making and how you want it to turn out. although US-05 is a relatively clean yeast, that range should give you just a touch a yeast flavor. go ~62 if you want a super-clean fermentation.

and just as fermentation is slowing down, about 3-4 days after pitching, feel free to crank up temps a few degrees to help out the yeast. you won't create any off-flavors at that point.

I have had it at 66-68 for 24 hours is it too late to go down to 62?

I usually looks at the span of temperatures that the manufacturer has for the yeast.
If I want a clean taste without to much esters I go for the lower end of temperature, if I want esters I brew in the higher end of the temperature span.

Most beers in my experience gain from the lower temp, span but it really depends on the style of the beer.

never in my life have i had a beer where i thought, 'this was fermented too cold'

I've noticed that US-05 is clean flavored even at 72F. but chilling the wort down to,say,70F & then topping off with water that's been chilled down very cold,but no ice in it will get the wort temp down to 53F or so at the most. so far anyway. but chilling it down to,say,60F would be better to pitch at. covering the fermenter with black velvet seems to be the best material to use in my observations so far. It'll hold cooler temps better & isn't effected by ambient room temps so much. Save for through the base of the fermenter & what it's sitting on. And then vary slowly.
I'm thinking of having my wife make me a couple of cosies to fit my fermenters from black velvet with a hole in the top for the airlock to stick out.
I've been using WL029 yeast for my latest two batches,& it's optimal range is 65-69F. Neither fermenter went over 68-69F during initial fermentation. Still down between 66-68 at the moment. The one with the BV is at 68F,the one with the purple tee shirt was more effected by ambient temps & is at 66.2F,I think is about 18C.

Back