pump. what to buy and where?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a March 809 with the 815 impeller upgrade. I use that for everything coming into contact with the wort on brew day. I wouldn't go with anything that's not rated safe for above boiling temperatures.

March or Chugger. All the online stores have them. Occasionally eBay will have a deal on one. I lucked into mine on eBay for 110 after shipping.

*1^^^ on the March/Chugger pumps. I have an 809 and it does outstanding. Just make sure when you build your plumbing that you have some consideration for priming it to prevent damage. I built a Tee on the inlet side and put in a valve that allows me to get liquid all the way to the pump with very little loss and no mess. Hope this helps.
Wheelchair Bob

modenacart said:
I would get a pump that is prewired with plug.

If you are uncomfortable with electric than yes. Or if that fits your use. I wanted a switch on mine so I just wired it into the switch instead of wiring up a switched outlet.

If you are uncomfortable with electric than yes. Or if that fits your use. I wanted a switch on mine so I just wired it into the switch instead of wiring up a switched outlet.

I got a plug on mine (came that way from where I ordered it). I have a switch box that the pump plugs into. That way, I can use it for the pump I have now, or if I want to change pumps. The second pump I have also came wired with a plug. I'm thinking about making a switch box to power either one next. That way it won't be an issue, and I can use one power connection for both pumps (one power in, two out, one for each pump). :D

I have a Chugger and love it. I liked the stainless steel head, option for an center input if desired and the fact that it's typically a few bucks cheaper than the March pumps. I don't know anyone who's dissatisfied with their March, though. I got mine from BobbyM/Brewhardware.com, more because I had an order I was placing with him anyway and wanted to consolidate shipping.

As another option, Little Giant makes a few models that are also suitable. I've got this one, and while it says it's only rated up to 200, it's all the same materials as the March pumps, and the manufacturer has confirmed it'll handle boiling temps as well. Best part of it is that it'll run dry, so if you inadvertently run it dry, you're not as likely to kill it as you are with the March or Chugger (not that I'd be so absent minded as to ever do that - not this guy, honest!). They've got a couple other models with higher flow rates or slightly different heads as well.

As another option, Little Giant makes a few models that are also suitable. I've got this one, and while it says it's only rated up to 200, it's all the same materials as the March pumps, and the manufacturer has confirmed it'll handle boiling temps as well. Best part of it is that it'll run dry, so if you inadvertently run it dry, you're not as likely to kill it as you are with the March or Chugger (not that I'd be so absent minded as to ever do that - not this guy, honest!). They've got a couple other models with higher flow rates or slightly different heads as well.

"Fluid Temperature - Up to 200F"

Chugger, and March pumps are rated for OVER boiling temps. The heads are rated to 250F (both standard March and the stainless heads). Far enough OVER boiling temps to be 100% safe to use. IMO, it doesn't matter if the manufacturer SAYS it's good to 212F, it's documented at 200F limit.

Besides, being able to run dry isn't worth the extra cost for me. You just keep an eye on what's going on with the pump and stop it when it's time. IMO/IME, very easy to do.

Latest posts

Back