no boil brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with no boil brewing(straight from mash tun to fermenter)? I decided to tried this tech technique after hearing Chad Yakobson on the BN.

Yup. What do you want to know? Im assuming you're foregoing early hop additions? Gotta be extremely careful with sanitation. I do it nearly weekly. Makes for a short brew day!

Just wanted to know how it turned out for other people. I mash hoped and brought the temp up to 175F for 15 min. Then chilled and pitched WLP sour mix.

I'm assuming I got close to zero IBU's with my approach. You could do a decoction with the hops to get a little more.

First I've heard of this. 175 for 15 mins is enough to kill off the bacteria?
And even 175 for 15 mins will get you some IBUs won't it? Were there hops in there while you did this?

I want to know how this turns out!

Hops where only in the mash. If I had a heatable mash tun I would have heat up in the mash tun. I'll post what happens but I don't plan on bottling for a least 4 months.

>>First I've heard of this. 175 for 15 mins is enough to kill off the bacteria?

I think this may be done for Sour beers that want Lactobacilus, not for regular beers.
Flash pasturization is done at 160-165 for 15 seconds.

It might be an interesting experiment.

I brewed a Berlinerweiss with a friend where we crushed a pound of grain and let the natural bacteria create a disgusting smelling mess of lactobacillus. We did a short boil for a small hop addition. Inoculated with the lacto and let it go, then tossed yeast in.

It had a real nice tart character and I was chugging my half.

Not quite going straight from mash to fermenter, but close with good results.

Back