Light issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yzf426scott

Reaction score
I just moved to a new home. I had a closet that was perfect for fermenting at my old house, but not here. The laundry room is my best option here, the only thing I'm worried about is when the lights get turned on. They are standard white neon tubes with a plastic cover over them, will this affect my fermenting beer??

I'm not sure, but I use cardboard boxes to cover my fermentors when I'm worried about light. The boxes my buckets/better bottles were shipped in work perfectly!

I have my fermenting room near the laundry room and have open flourecent light on my carboys and notice no skunky flavors/smells. THough if i plan on being in there for a while ill grab a brewing towel and wrap the carboys just to block the light for the time being.

Cardboard boxes or trash bags (the thick, black construction type) are easy to get and work well. Just keep it covered.

I think the key is to make sure that daylight is not present in there. Close the door during the day when gone. Lights on for a little while probably won't be a big deal.

I have always kept my carboys in a dark closet but will periodically take a few minutes to inspect fermentation with a flashlight. I have never had any negative effects from doing this. I would be concerned if the carboys were exposed to UV light though.

I wouldn't worry too hard about it.

When winter struck, I moved my fermentation room to the soon-to-be baby room. I put it in the closet in our new closet system we built...we guess what, EVERYONE wanted to see that closet system and the baby's room. My guess is that two batches of my beer were exposed to at least 2 hours of sunlight...no ill effects.

Drink a home brew...old T-shirts are the way but "skunking" from minimal light exposure is just another headache that really isnt worth it.

Latest posts

Back