Help With Pellet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
I just brewed a Morebeer kit American Wheat today. It cam with pellet hops. The basic brewing dvd says don't worry about bagging or straining pellets. The morebeer instructions say to use a grain bag. When I did my boil I just threw in the bittering hops and it seemed like I could see a lot of floaties. So, on the aromatic hops I used a mesh bag. So, bag or no bag on pellet hops?

I never use a bag- I just throw them in. When the boil is done, I strain the wort anyway, so all that stuff is strained out or settles to the bottom during fermentation. It's up to you!

I use whole hops so I use a hop bag. I do this to keep the hops from clogging the spigot on my brew pot. With pellot hops it isn't a concern.

I think I've read both Palmer and Papazian to say it doesn't matter if hops are in the primary fermenter or not, they will just settle out to the bottom and won't affect fermentation at all. If you want less trub to deal with in the primary, by all means strain it out when you transfer from the kettle, but you don't have to. If you decide to ferment with the hops out, a mesh bag is the easiest way of keeping track of them in the boil and removing them. If you don't use a mesh bag, you can always still strain it during the initial transfer to the primary.

Just strain the hops out when you pour the wort into the primary, but be sure to cool the wort to 80F or cooler before straining it. I use a fine mesh kitchen strainer and slowly pour the wort through.

I use pellet hops and I don't bag em. I strain from the brewkettle spigot into my fermenter with no issues so far. I just keep a spoon handy and scoop the hop mush out of the strainer so it doesn't clog up. no biggie.

Latest posts

Back