Stink Bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newter

Reaction score
Here in MD there's been a bumper crop of stink bugs. It's occurred to me that this is a great brewing opportunity. I was hoping for some advice: do you think the bugs should be used in a role similar to that of hops, or do you think it would be better to use them as the primary ingredient? I'm leaning towards primary ingredient. I suppose you could also treat them more as an adjunct... How would you malt stink bugs? What yeast do you think would be appropriate? I was hoping to make a beer, but am open to a sparkling wine or maybe a mead, if people think those beverages would be better. Anyway, looking forward to your suggestions!

EPIC first post!!!!!

I would add them to the mash. That extra protein will be great for head retention!

I'd try a pale ale to keep the bug yuck flavor and aroma at the fore. Don't forget to grind them very small, to aid in extraction. Do it before your main grain grind, for extra flavor and aroma. I'd also add some post fermentation as a "dry-stinking" to really add some aroma; fermentation c02 may scrub some of that out. The dry stinking addition can be whole bugs, to prevent problems siphoning.

When it comes to bottling/kegging, carb this on the high side to make for a big head when pouring. Serve a whole bug on top of the head for extra visual appeal.

My niece tried one in her beer the other day. It was not brewed in, but added (inadvertantly) after the pour. Apparently the flavor is best, and most intense, when fresh, and right after the "crunch"... I wish that I had pointed a video camera at her first...... it was..... uh..... EPIC!.......

You really need to start out with a stink bug tea. Get an idea of the flavor and aroma of the ingredient. Then try to pair it up with an existing style that compliments the taste.

Most importantly, be sure to save a few bottles to enter into the HBT home brew competition under category 23 -- Specialty Beer.

Latest posts

Back