I Broke My Thermometer In My Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis1979

Reaction score
I broke my thermometer in my wort. It happened when I was cooling the wort after the boil. I was stirring it to get it cool and I held the thermometer in there for a few minutes while I was stirring and probably hit it with the spoon. So I had little black pellets in the bottom of my pot. When I poured the wort into the fermemter, I strained it so I know none of the pellets are in there now, at least there shouldn't be any. Also, I quit pouring the wort when it got down to the crud anyway so most of it didn't even get out of the boiling pot. Should I worry about this? Are those pellets lead or steel?

Dennis

I would find out the exact brand of thermometer and what went into the making of it if you want to keep the beer, but that's just me.

I just called my LBHS where I got the thermometer. They said the pellets are steel and agreed that probably most if not all that got poured would have been trapped in the strainer. Any that did get through would have gone straight to the bottom and will be covered by trub pretty quick. They said it happens now and then and that I should not worry. So I choose not to worry, because I really don't like worrying.

I think you may want to up grade to a 12" probe. No danger involved plus it has a hanger to sit snug against your brew pot for constant temperature control. Just dont get to agressive when stirring other wise the wort will pull it and it could fall in (not a real big concern). I also like the 12" because it allows you to go in deep when cooling the wort so you'll get a more accurate reading. I'd post a picture of it but I cant post pictures on HBT for some reason. :mad:I cant figure out why they dont paste? I'm able to post videos from youtube. If anyone has any ideas why this is please let me know what the problem is.
[

The same thing happened to me however it was when I was heating up the water. There was a bunch of small pieces of glass all over so I threw out the water, cleaned and started again.
I got a metal temp gauge and it works great. It hangs on the side and tells me the temp through the boil. I am no longer a big fan of those floating pyrex thermometers.

I like to use a digital infrared thermometer.

Just point and click for an accurate reading.

thermometercopyxf7.th.jpg

i did the same thing last weekend, I left the last 1/2 gallon in the kettle and strained the crap out of it. I plan on racking it with a muslin cloth over my siphon and leaving about 2" in the bucket. I plan on racking to keg the same way.

I like to use a digital infrared thermometer.

Just point and click for an accurate reading.

thermometercopyxf7.th.jpg

I thought that an infrared thermo would not work in water? I have one of these (different design, same principle) so will have to test it against my thermometer.

not mercury? Not sure if that was banned for use in thermomters?

I guess I should have said that this is a floating thermometer. The one that has a bunch of steel pellets encapsulated in the bottom. It's what came in my original "kit" from the LHBS and is the only thermometer I have. The liquid, mercury or whatever it is, didn't come out, just those steel pellets and, obviously, some glass. Once I found out those pellets were steel and not lead, I felt better. If any got in, they went straight to the bottom and are getting buried by trub as we speak. If any pellets or glass made it past the strainer, they will not be an issue after I rack to secondary.

Dennis

i did the same thing last weekend, I left the last 1/2 gallon in the kettle and strained the crap out of it. I plan on racking it with a muslin cloth over my siphon and leaving about 2" in the bucket. I plan on racking to keg the same way.

Good idea, I think I'll do the same thing.

Back