Bayou SP10 burner question for 40 qt stockpot. Large enough cooking surface?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
I am 90% sure I'm going to buy the SQ14 55,000 btu burner from Bayou Classic, but the SP10's power is still keeping me interested.

The SP10 has a 14" cooking surface, and my 40 qt stockpot has a 15" diameter. I'm assuming this isn't a good thing. Despite the instability of the pot hanging over the burner, will that one inch cause any problems with the actual boil? Will it cause "cold spots" along the sides?

That one inch extra diameter of your pot is nothing to worry about. Is your pot flat on the bottom? If so, it's fine.

I have a converted keg on my SP10. I have to use an old grill grate because the rim of the keg is 15"...but it still works fine.

It's flat at the bottom. Do you think I would need to add a grate to the bottom of the pot to keep it more stable?

Is the SP10 loud?

No you won't need anything extra. The pot will barely hang over the edge, but it won't matter in your case.

Well, I dont have anything else to compare it to, but when I crank it up it sounds like a jet :)

Back