She's gonna blow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No, wait, she already did.

5 Gallons fruited (pear nectar) DIPA and the blow off blew off of the bucket.

The US-05 is quietly bubbling out to the inside of the dedicated chest freezer at a cool 70*F.

Just gonna wait it out till the monster krausen retreats into the hole from whence it came and then I'll plug it with an airlock.

Sheesh! This is only the second "violent" fermentation I have ever had. the first was a RIS. :tank: :rockin:

would you even be able to taste pear in an IPA?

That, Mr Flynn, is what I intend to find out.

Thank god this is in a dedicated freezer ferm cab in the garage. Otherwise that would be one messy cleanup. At least this way I can pull the drain plugs and wash it down with the hose. Squegee the garage floor into the drive and the mess is gone.

Who'd have thought that a pear would cause such a ruckus?

+1 I have never had this active a fermentation out of US-05 and I have used it a lot. The base wort was 1.066. To that I added 128 Ounces of Pear nectar.

I expected that it might be cloudy from pectin but I didnlt expect violent. Of course, I haven't even tried to figure the gravity. Nor did I take a refract reading after the nectoar was infused.

I figure it'll be what it wants to be. I'll drink it and it will be good. And i get to name an original style.

PIPA, Peared India Pale Ale. Whahoo.

Back