Anyone have a beer style that they just cannot stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLP

Interactive
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone has a beer that they do not like every now and again, but do you have a style that you just hate? If so what is your? I have tried Flanders Red a couple of times, and I cannot take it. I first get a sharp sour flavor that is perked up by a nice red beer flavor. Then it turns horribly wrong, and I get a sharp acrid like sting and the flavor of ketchup hits me. I just cannot take it. Any suggestions on a brand of this that I can try to change my mind?:(

Belgian. I basically can not stand any beer that comes in a 250 ml bottle because 1) I don't point my pinky finger toward the sky, and 2) I think that fruit in beer is just wrong.

-1 to both of these. I can tolerate Belgians but can't stand sours. I went to a brewers dinner that had sours and I could see them when paired with something fatty like pork belly but that was only a 4 oz taste. I just brewed a Dubbel since it was a club same brew and it was good. I'm glad I brewed it to get me out of my comfort zone but I can't wait for the keg to blow.

Clamato and pre limed in a can beers.

I like a wheat brewed with lime, sometimes a little fresh lime squeezed into a beer and even that lime salt every great now and then, but that pre limed in a can junk is junk.

Clamato and pre limed in a can beers.

Not only do I hate these, but god I hate when I'm at a mexican restaurant and I order XX amber or Negra Modelo and forget to ask for no lime arghhhhh another innocent dark lager ruined by lime!!

IPAs. Some are better than others, but it's definitely a style I can live without. I can drink 'em, but it takes me a while. I'll always go for something else first, well, except a BMC. I'll take an IPA over a BMC. I know I'm probably a minority on this board, but I just can't get into a brew that tastes like a fargin' rose bush.

Corona, Tekate, Sol and regular Modelo. That's what gets lime, sometime. Nothing darker than yellow gets it.

And yeah. IPAs. I don't hate them. They just aren't my first choice. Or second. It's the x-treme nothing but carbonated hop juice trend that turned me off them.

If there was a single style I just do not care for is any type of sour followed closely by any brew that contains pumpkin or other type of squash.

Belgians. Try as I might I just can't get into them. Honestly I think it's the high carbonation levels that don't do it for me

Lambics and light lagers. With just about any other style I can usually find at least 1 or 2 examples I enjoy, but not those two.

It was PAs and IPAs for a long time. Then I found one I liked. Then I found another... then another...

I pretty much like all styles now. There are specific hops I don't like so much. Simcoe being one. I generally like it in small amounts. If its a simcoe bomb, I really have to be in the mood for it. Otherwise I get tired of its cattiness really quickly.

Pepper beers... I try them when people say "DUDE its the BEST pepper beer ever" but really just don't like any of them. At least I have not found one yet, that's for sure...

Cheers
Jay

Barleywine. I either haven't had a good one, or there isn't such a thing. To me, it tastes like beer packaged in one of those gimmicky racecar cologne bottles from my childhood.

I still try once in a great while, but to no avail.

Pepper beers... I try them when people say "DUDE its the BEST pepper beer ever" but really just don't like any of them. At least I have not found one yet, that's for sure...

Cheers
Jay

I forgot about this style. I have never been a fan pepper beers as well. On the other hand it took me a while to warm up to a bunch of styles to include IPAs too yet now:rockin:

i consider the american brown style (or is it, 'black ipa?') to be a travesty and generally pretty gross. there are some exceptions.

Sours, including Hefe's, unflavored lambics and gouze. My mouth screams "infection" any time I taste one and guess what? It's right!!! :D

Sours, including Hefe's, unflavored lambics and gouze. My mouth screams "infection" any time I taste one and guess what? It's right!!! :D

MMMM infections. Sours happen to be my favorite. Funny how beer works-there's styles for everyone.

Ambers, I get horrible heartburn from them for some reason.

Belgians, I do not like the peppery yeast profile they give off. I did have a Belgian IPA recently that was good but the yeast profile was more fruity than peppery so that was good, otherwise, I'm not a fan.

I too am an active member of the Sour Hater's Association. IPA's are also on my list but I learned to tolerate them when I spent 8 months in San Francisco. IMO anything above 50 IBUs is too much.

Funny, I love a lot of the styles you guys are mentioning: Belgians, IPAs, Barleywines. Those are some of my favorites.

I have yet to find a pale lager that I like. I don't know if I'm more sensitive to the sulfur taste than most, but I just don't like it. The darker lagers, especially doppelbocks, I love. But the sulfur is less noticeable there.

Belgo-IPAs I enjoy a good Belgian, I love a good IPA, when you glue them together, it's just wretched. (Note I have not tasted every single Belgo-IPA perhaps there are some that don't totally suck)

I too am an active member of the Sour Hater's Association. IPA's are also on my list but I learned to tolerate them when I spent 8 months in San Francisco. IMO anything above 50 IBUs is too much.

You wouldn't find much to drink at my house.

Hopefully sour demand falls so I can buy them more cheaply and easily.

I haven't tried lambic for a while, so maybe my palate has grown. But I remember when I was fresh out of college, before I learned to appreciate beer, I thought I would try something other than BMC/Mickey's/Keystone et al. Grabbed a sixer of Sam Adams at random. It turned out to be lambic and it went down the drain. It set me back in terms of branching out :cross:

IPA's - I volunteered on a bottling line once for a small brewery and got to drink as many as I wanted, and got two free cases at the end of the experience; that was a few years ago and I haven't enjoyed an IPA since; right behind that is anything made with apricot, specifically Magic Hat #9 - I lived in Vermont for six years and drank too much of it, and pretty much everyone who didn't live in Vermont bought me #9 when I would visit... yeah.. got sick of it. Fruit beers that are heavy on the extract... Had a watermelon ale from a CT brewery and burped up watermelon jolly ranchers all night long, then I go to Boston Beer works and try their watermelon ale and it's phenomenal! they don't use extract though.

Is light/lite considered a style? because anything with light/lite in it tastes like water in a used glass.
BJCP 1A. Some of us like and enjoy brewing this style although most brewers prefer BJCP 1B/1C (Standard/Premium American Lager).

1A. Lite American Lager

Aroma: Little to no malt aroma, although it can be grainy, sweet or corn-like if present. Hop aroma may range from none to a light, spicy or floral hop presence. Low levels of yeast character (green apples, DMS, or fruitiness) are optional but acceptable. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Very pale straw to pale yellow color. White, frothy head seldom persists. Very clear.

Flavor: Crisp and dry flavor with some low levels of grainy or corn-like sweetness. Hop flavor ranges from none to low levels. Hop bitterness at low level. Balance may vary from slightly malty to slightly bitter, but is relatively close to even. High levels of carbonation may provide a slight acidity or dry "sting." No diacetyl. No fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Very light body from use of a high percentage of adjuncts such as rice or corn. Very highly carbonated with slight carbonic bite on the tongue. May seem watery.

Overall Impression: Very refreshing and thirst quenching.

Comments: A lower gravity and lower calorie beer than standard international lagers. Strong flavors are a fault. Designed to appeal to the broadest range of the general public as possible.

Ingredients: Two- or six-row barley with high percentage (up to 40%) of rice or corn as adjuncts.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.028 – 1.040
IBUs: 8 – 12 FG: 0.998 – 1.008
SRM: 2 – 3 ABV: 2.8 – 4.2%

Commercial Examples: Bitburger Light, Sam Adams Light, Heineken Premium Light, Miller Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light, Baltika #1 Light, Old Milwaukee Light, Amstel Light

Anything that comes in a green or clear glass bottle. Seems that I get the ones that have sat in the sun for a week, every time. I can taste that skunky funky right now, yuk.

Back