Best Way of Removing Hot Break Before transferring to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
Tomorrow im starting my first batch with a boil. Im wondering what is the best way to remove the hot break and hops before I add my wort to my primary fermenter.

I ferment in carboys, so pouring through a strainer doesn't work straight to the carboy. This is how I get around it.

During brew day, I fill my bottling bucket with sanitizer water. I soak all my post-boil stuff in there during the entire process (including a strainer).

While chilling the wort, I fill a different pot (the one I use for heating sparge water) with the water from the bottling bucket and transfer everything to it. Dump the remaining sanitized water on your bushes, plants, etc. (living in Texas, I try to reuse / conserve water where I can and haven't noticed any ill effects on the bushes, trees, or grass).

Place the strainer over the bottling bucket and pour the chilled wort through it catching the hot-break. Pour the wort from the bucket to the carboy through a big funnel. This acts as my oxygenation step and trub filter at once.

That was a really long description of a simple process.

Back