Oatmeal stout carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wondering how much priming sugar I should use to carbonate my oatmeal stout. The FG is 1.020 and will be stored at 65 degrees while conditioning. I have been having trouble with too much carbonation with my last two batches. I have even tried tasty brew bottle priming calculator and gotten the same results.
Does anyone have advice on how much corn sugar I should use?

I use 100 grams of dextrose to prime 23 liters of stout. I forget which online calculator I used to come up with that amount but the result is that the stout is not too carbonated (for my tastes anyway).

So that's one guy's opinion.

This is the calculator I used for determining my priming sugar.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirleslie/AlcoholChart/PrimingCalculator.html

(you may want to use a couple of calculators and see if they all give the same result)

There is a drop down you can use to get a suggested CO2 volume range for a given style of beer. Unfortunately the range beside Oatmeal stout simply says "?".

I used the value 2.0 which is listed as the low end CO2 volume for a Sweet Stout. My beer temperature is usually 18C when I bottle and I almost always do 23 litre batches. I listed dextrose as my priming ingredient.

Hitting the calculate button gives me 100 grams as my weight of priming sugar.

I'm not sure how important it is to you but I did not take the volume of water (1-2 cups) I used to dissolve the priming sugar into consideration at all.

Back