FG Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woggers

Reaction score
Ok, so i Know this has probably been done but I can't find it. I am on my second batch of cider/applewine. My OG was 1.092. I used Lalvin 71B. Pitched it about 3 weeks ago. My "FG" reading was done less than a week ago and it was at 1.016. I was very confused. Went to the local homebrew store and the guy told me I have to "shake the sh#t out of your sample". I did this and now my "other FG" is 1.002.

Question: Do I/Should I be "shaking the sh#t out" of every sample? I didn't realize that co2 bubbles built up like this.

Btw, it tastes like rocket fuel but I am told that after about 6 months it tastes great

I spin the hydrometer in the jar, and that gets rid of the bubbles. If there is a lot of CO2 in it you need to take the reading quickly as the bubbles will attache to the hydrometer quickly.

1.016 to 1.002. There is a lot of CO2 in that. For cider, it should be still before you even think about doing anything with it. I don't know what you hev in it, but generally cider should finish somewhere south of 1.000, so give it some more time.

Back