Is my cfc ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerly

Reaction score
Well, I now know that I should not have stored my counterflow chiller that I just made with a oxiclean solution. I am going to drain it as soon as I get home from work tonight, but it has been sitting for a little over two weeks with probably a stronger than normal concentration.

What damage might I have caused to it? I have read about people using it on kegs and having it cause pitting.

Should I use it again? Has anyone else done this, and did it cause problems?

Thanks

Try running some starsan through it. If you get cloudyness, or it comes out green then you're probably SOL. Otherwise, use your best judgment.

Dude said:
Do the vinegar trick.
+1, but I'd recommend adding salt to the vinegar as well. Not 100% sure on why to use this over just vinegar but it it's recommended all over the place when googling for copper cleaning info.

evandude said:
+1, but I'd recommend adding salt to the vinegar as well. Not 100% sure on why to use this over just vinegar but it it's recommended all over the place when googling for copper cleaning info.

Probably for the abrasiveness.... Don't think I'd recommend that for a CFC, but I dunno.

Yes, you did not damage the cfc but you most probably have the Oxyclean residue inside the cfc with a soak that long. Do the vinegar solution.

Check for clarity afterwards and give it a taste test.

Latest posts

Back