What does a healthy, straight honey must smell like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wworker

Reaction score
I started my first Mead last night...14# local dark honey, 2 packs of d-47, plenty of nutrient and energizer(fermaid and DAP), meta, watered to 5 gallons.

OG 1.102

24 hours later I have steady bubbling, but a slight sulfur smell is coming with it. It isn't very strong, but it is there. I have gathered that sulfur indicates low nutes, but I have added close to 8 g of both DAP and fermaid.....4 at inoculation, and 4 more 16 hours later

so, is this normal?

Thanks,
Matt

I'm a n00b at mead brewing but the first batch I made almost a month ago smelled like that too. It went away after about a week and when I tasted some, the flavour hadn't been affected.

For me it was normal but as I said, just a newbie here.

Thanks grolut. Judging by the lack of other responses I would guess you are right. I was looking in schramms book and he recommends 1 teaspoon of DAP per gallon, so I put two more in. It is getting a bit stronger and the wife is complaining

preshiate it! :)

Although that amount of nutrient may be enough, it is a bit on the low side - providing perhaps 150 ppm YAN (including the honey). That's about the minimum I'd use, and adding enough to get to 200 ppm might not be a bad idea (say 2.5 grams of DAP and 5 grams of Fermaid K).

Usually D47 doesn't produce much sulfur odor. At what temperature are you fermenting?

Thanks for chiming in. It is right at 74-75 degrees right now. What nute schedule do you use? any resources I can look into? I have schramms book of course and I have also seen that staggered schedule posted by Hightest. They seem to be quite different....

They aren't that far apart, but I think Hightest's approach is a pretty good one in most cases.

74 F is too hot for D47 to perform its best. At that temp it creates a lot of fusel alcohols and funny odors and your mead may wind up tasting like paint thinner for a long, long, time. You get better aroma and flavor, and a mead that is ready to drink faster if you keep it under 70F (usually 65 would be about ideal in my opinion).

i would say the yeast are hungry again. if i remember correctly your supposed to feed them every day for the first week or so.

so whats a maximum of fermaid and dap yall would put in total. Hightests total was like 9.1 grams of each....

I second Medsen, try to cool it down a bit, corner of a closet or something. Down here in the dirty south we just have to deal with warmer temps. sounds like you have a case of yeast farts. It may need an extra long finish period, I usually get away with one pack of D47 with vigorous shaking but last summer i had one that smelled like rocket fuel, it settled down after a year and was wicked good after 18 months.

ok cool. I set my carboy in front of an AC vent. Hopefully that will help. I put too much meta in it at the beginning so maybe that has something to do with it. We'll see.

Thanks everybody...

Back