Roadtrip to VA in a Couple Months.....Need Recipe Idea!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewBrew

Reaction score
So I have vacation coming up in May in which I'll be driving down to Virginia from MA with my family. I'll be bringing my own beer, probably a case or two.

I've never come up with my own recipe, I've just stuck with the LHBS or Northern Brewer kits. We'll be deep in the country and will be doing a lot of historical things on the trip like Thomas Jefferson's house, James Madison's house, etc. I'd like to brew a beer that kind of reflects this.

I'm looking for ideas for a beer that.....
1. Is a beer that our forefathers would have brewed themselves since many of them lived down there.
2. Or a beer that reflects the local ingredients of the Virginia or Appalachian mountain area.

I'm an extract brewer for now and will eventually be going all grain...but not for this brew. So I'd appreciate extract recipes.

What do you think???? :tank:

P.S. - I know there are alot of Colonial America recipies floating around on here, many with fruits and spices as adjuncts. I'm open to the idea of Molassas....but want to know what you guys think!

I am from the charlottesville area and there is a local brewery here, Starr Hill. They brew a beer called Monticello Reserve. You might try something like that. Here's a link: http://www.starrhill.com/brews/brew_item/monticello-reserve-ale. I have had it, it is ok. Other things to mention about central VA: Go to Blue Mountain Brewery, The beer is top notch. Food and service not so much. Beer Run in Charlottesville is a fun place, half bottleshop half taproom. Champion brewery is another good one in cville, it is a bit off the beaten path but they have solid brews. Fifth Season is the LHBS in cville, it is a cool place and the staff is pretty laid back, worth a visit. Enjoy the trip, my family is from MA and I live here so I thought I ought to comment. Monticello is a good time and there is alot of fun outdoor stuff to do in the area. Another link for you brewridgetrail.com. Lemme know if you have any more questions, Cheers.

Thanks for the reply bulldog! This is actually our 2nd time to the area because we loved it so much. Our first trip down was a bit on the shorter side so we only got to see a few things you mentioned. We will be checking out alot more this time....including a few more breweries.

If Charlottesville had a bunch of engineering jobs I'd consider moving down there!

There are a few, I work in manufacturing. It is a nice area, I cant complain about much. Except that I cant get any Heady Topper or Jacks Abby haha. If you find yourself near Harrisonburg, They have capitol ale house, clementines, and daves taverna. Keep me posted and let me know how your trip goes. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back