Hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerSoonerBrewer

Reaction score
I was wondering about trying hop additions that use combinations of different types.

Can someone tell me how something like this might work out? I'm making an English IPA hybrid (maybe closer to ESB) with some leftover grain.

hops
use time oz variety form aa

boil 60 mins 0.5 Chinook pellet 11.2
boil 60 mins 0.5 Fuggles pellet 5.0
boil 15 mins 0.5 Chinook pellet 11.2
boil 15 mins 0.5 Fuggles pellet 5.0
boil 5 mins 1.0 Liberty pellet 3.2

This will be 40.8 IBU according to my recipe (partial mash).

The Chinook isn't really a great choice - it'll probably be okay for the 60-minute addition, but the 15 isn't great for an English IPA. Do you have more Fuggles? If so, sub it for the 15 minute Chinook.

My $0.02

The Chinook isn't really a great choice - it'll probably be okay for the 60-minute addition, but the 15 isn't great for an English IPA. Do you have more Fuggles? If so, sub it for the 15 minute Chinook.

My $0.02

How about this?
boil 60 mins 1.0 Chinook pellet 11.2
boil 20 mins 1.0 Fuggles pellet 5.0

The 60 minute additions still provide some flavor, and the pine/citrus of the Chinook isn't really appropriate for British beers. However, if you really don't care about the line between American and English IPA, it'll be a good beer: Provided the malt bill can support it.

Your original post mentions ESB - if this is what the target is, Chinook is not really a desirable hop here. Your hopping seems more towards an IPA rather than ESB.

The 60 minute additions still provide some flavor, and the pine/citrus of the Chinook isn't really appropriate for British beers. However, if you really don't care about the line between American and English IPA, it'll be a good beer: Provided the malt bill can support it.

Your original post mentions ESB - if this is what the target is, Chinook is not really a desirable hop here. Your hopping seems more towards an IPA rather than ESB.

Yeah, it's just what I have on hand. All the other hops I have on hand are 5.0%AA or lower (Mt Hood, Liberty, Fuggles, Kent Goldings). I know Chinook doesn't fit the English profile, I'm just wanting to use them for bittering of a hybrid Yankee IPA/ESB.

Are you wanting more of an ESB or IPA? If leaning towards ESB, use KG at 15, and anything but Chinook at 60.

If you are splitting the IPA/ESB line, but leaning IPA, use 0.5 of Chinook for bittering, and then use Mt. Hood at 15.

Again, keep in mind this is my opinion. Your original plan may be fine for your tastes. I am speaking more towards the BJCP flavor profiles.

Are you wanting more of an ESB or IPA? If leaning towards ESB, use KG at 15, and anything but Chinook at 60.

If you are splitting the IPA/ESB line, but leaning IPA, use 0.5 of Chinook for bittering, and then use Mt. Hood at 15.

Again, keep in mind this is my opinion. Your original plan may be fine for your tastes. I am speaking more towards the BJCP flavor profiles.

Yeah, this is called "On-Hand English Strong Ale" and it's made from what I have on hand. Unfortunately only had Chinooks to give proper bittering tomy tastes. Everything else was low AA.

malt & fermentables

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L Late

42% 4 0 Briess DME Gold 34 4 ~
21% 2 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
16% 1 8 Crystal 40L 34 40 ~
10% 1 0 American Six-row Pale 33 1 ~
5% 0 8 Honey 35 1 Y
5% 0 8 Brown Sugar, Dark 46 50 Y
1% 0 2 Chocolate Malt 34 475 ~

Batch size: 5.0 gallons edit

Original Gravity
1.060 / 14.7° Plato
(1.053 to 1.062)
Final Gravity
1.016 / 4.1° Plato
(1.013 to 1.017)
Color
16° SRM / 32° EBC
(Light Brown to Medium Brown)
Mash Efficiency ?
75% edit
Late Boil Additions
Show | Hide

hops

boil 60 mins 1.0 Chinook pellet 11.2
boil 20 mins 1.0 Fuggles pellet 5.0

Boil: 3.7 avg gallons for 60 minutes edit

Bitterness
47.4 IBU / 11 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth edit
NOTE: IBU results higher due to late boil additions
BU:GU

yeast

SafAle American Ale
ale yeast in dry form with medium flocculation and 74% attenuation edit
add icon

Alcohol
5.9% ABV / 5% ABW
Calories
198 per 12 oz.

misc
use time amount ingredient
delete icon
boil 15 min 1 ea Whirlfloc Tablet edit icon
add icon

If you don't mind me asking, what are the honey and brown sugar for?

The US-05 yeast will not give you any British character - super clean yeast though.

Hmm... My $0.02 says:
- lose the honey and brown sugar, and up the DME to retain the OG of 1.060.
- Go wild with the hops, and add more after 20-minutes. Get the IBU's up to 60 or so with these late additions

Have a nice American IPA!

If you don't mind me asking, what are the honey and brown sugar for?

The US-05 yeast will not give you any British character - super clean yeast though.

Hmm... My $0.02 says:
- lose the honey and brown sugar, and up the DME to retain the OG of 1.060.
- Go wild with the hops, and add more after 20-minutes. Get the IBU's up to 60 or so with these late additions

Have a nice American IPA!

Yeah, honestly I am not even trying to go for an English style, it was just that on hopville, the recipe fit within the parameters of that style with regard to color/IBU etc... This is a hybrid beer no doubt about it.

I thought that the honey and brown sugar would add a bit more fermentables and was something I had on hand. I've read about Scottish ales/bitters using dark brown sugar too.

Honey and brown sugar will both add flavors. If you are looking for a honey and molasses flavor in the beer, keep them in. If they are just fermentables, leave them out and use more grain/DME.

I see a lot of people fall into to "kitchen sink" mentality with brewing, or get into a "hey, I just add this to change things up a bit" phase. Hell, I have too! I have since learned to brew solid beers in many categories over several years, then started changing things up; but only changing one thing at a time. I am still experimenting, but with small batches and controlled additives/yeasts/techniques. It's too easy to add things, end up going too far, and then have a beer that's not what you wanted or turns out to be a dumper.

Again, only my opinion.

"Small changes, Ellie." Carl Sagan.

Back