Did not do a starter on a O.G. 1.062

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdvGroo

Reaction score
I am using WL Burton #WL023 Pitched to a Holiday ale that I got a within target 1.062 O.G. reading. I pitched at 79 deg. straight from the Vial. I usually do a starter, but I got ahead of myself and forgot to prep it.

Do you think that this will do fine or can I pitch more Yeast? Or better, should I?

I am closing in on 24 hr since pitch and no activity yet. I am aware it can take awhile, I just fear this will not meet FG 1.012-1.018. Since this will be my holiday brew ha ha, I want it to meet my FG.

I've pitched into beers near 1.060 before without a starter. You want to do a starter but I'd imagine it'll still take off in this case.

You'll know in a few days...

You should be fine!

After a few days (after major fermentation) give the carboy a shake from time to time. This will kick up the yeast that has settled out, letting the fermentation keep going.

It will be fine, just may take longer.

I pitched into a 1.060 because I didn't realize I was out of DME when I went to make a starter. It took a day and a half before there were any visual signs of fermentation.

I'm very inexperienced, but my last batch was 1.064 IPA that reached a FG of 1.016 with one smack pack of yeast. You should be fine :)

I never make starters and have brewed in that range several times. I usually use dry yeasts, but I never have issues. Just be patient and give the yeast time to do their thing.

I think you'll be fine. It is a good idea to use a starter when you get that close IMO but you really need a starter the further you get into 1.060's and beyond. You'll be fine.

I'm new as well, but pitched WL liquid yeast (at room temp) into an OG of 1.060, FG came to 1.012 with no problems.

FWIW though, i really suggest making a starter in that range. It will prevent off flavors, help attenuation, and accelerate the aging process.

It'll still make beer without the starter but maybe not as good as it could be or as quickly :)

FWIW though, i really suggest making a starter in that range. It will prevent off flavors, help attenuation, and accelerate the aging process.

It'll still make beer without the starter but maybe not as good as it could be or as quickly :)

What range is a basic cut off for doing a starter? Generally as a rule just do them anyway, even if on a lower OG Recipe. I like the idea of a higher Yeast count. Cannot hurt right?

I always do a starter with liquid yeast. I always hydrate dry yeast. This is true except for the first few batches I did and 1 vial of yeast 'can' handle 1.06 without any real problems.

RDWHAHB and do a starter next time if you can

I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to yeast, but also consider how much of your wort is fermentable. I brewed the AHS Pumpkin Ale with some lactose and maltodextrin. This brought the OG up to 1.063 from the recipe's 1.052, but the 11 points were mostly unfermentable.

I'm not sure if non-fermentables stresses yeast or not, but my wort really only had 52 points of potential fermentables, and it finished in a few days.

Give it a few days. 1.060 is a decently sized beer but nothing I would say you couldn't have success without a starter.

If after a few days you're not seeing the airlock bubbling and the SG has not changed then you know the yeast just isn't doing what it should and you need to prep a starter and re-pitch.

As stated, under-pitching can cause off-flavors but as long as it eventually gets going the end product will still be beer.

Temps are fine at 68 at the moment. My concern was not that it would not kick off, but if it would have enough to ferment to my target FG by not having done the starter. It finally did kick off yesterday and is going strong. I will see in a couple weeks what I end up with. Thanks for the reply's is always appreciated.

Back