Missing 1 grain from my grain bill...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdalisx

Reaction score
I picked up the grains for my first AG batch today. Was planning on starting early tomorrow morning and just realized that I left 1 of the grains sitting in a bag next to the mill at my LHBS.

The brew is an Irish Red Ale and what I am missing is 0.5lbs of flaked wheat. My question to ya'll is if I brew without do you think it will be noticable?

LHBS is not open until 10am and I was going to start at 8am due to other commitments starting at about noon, so my options are brew without it or wait until later next week.

thanks!

You can finish a batch in 4 hours?

I have not yet done an all grain batch but this weekend should be my first.

In all of my time extract brewing I took 4 hours minimum when doing full boils. I must be really slow.

The wheat is just filler, totally unnecessary for the style. rollinred, how can you stretch a brew day out to four hours when you don't have any time tied up mashing?

I figured the wheat was filler, or wouldn't really be missed. Thanks for the quick input, hoping for a smooth brew day for my first AG:mug:

I could do the extract and partial mash brews in 2-2.5 hrs from start to end of boil.

This will probably take a good deal more time being my first AG, but the stuff I have to do isn't set right at noon, as long as I am winding down everything by then I should be good.

Yeah your timing seems to be a little off, 4 hours for AG may not be enough. You can skip the flaked wheat, especially if there is only 0.5 lb so the difference will be hard to notice.

Yeah, 4 hours is going to be tough. There always seems to be something that doesn't go as planned when you have a deadline. It could easily take you 8 hours. My QUICK AG days are around 5 hours. Started doing biab instead of a 3 vessel single tier, and I'm doing them in about 4 hours, give or take.

The wheat is just filler, totally unnecessary for the style. rollinred, how can you stretch a brew day out to four hours when you don't have any time tied up mashing?

With equipment setup, boil/cooling, and transfer/pitching I am over three hours. Equipment cleanup takes me a little over an hour. About 4.5 hours is what i set aside.

I actually use flaked wheat from supermarket. It should be about the same thing.

I buy flaked wheat from my hippie store. It is $.90. They have other weird grains, I love looking at their bulk bins.

It takes me about 3 hours from when I begin heating up the water until the yeast is pitched and the fermenter is sitting in its spot. Of course I'm only doing 1.5 gal BIAB batches so heating and cooling doesn't take quite so long.

Happy Brewing!

Just finished it. Started at 9am finished at 12:30pm. I do have access to a commercial kitchen brew in so I have lots of space and cleanup is a breeze + the commercial gas stove is a lot better at getting water to temp then what I would use at home...

I just brewed an Irish Red Ale last weekend and I didn't use wheat. I may be wrong, but wheat is not a classic ingredient for a IRA.

Actually my homebrew store doesn't even carry flaked things. But you can find rye, wheat, baley and oats flaked in a couple of stores.

I've been lead to thing that the flaked wheat is added to improve the head on the beer. Oatmeal will do that too but will leave you with hazy beer. If the haze doesn't bother you, the head produced is awesome.

LOL....wow...the guy asks for help on whether or not he can brew without the flaked wheat, and everyone jumps all over him about the 4 hour brew day. C'mon people, this dude ain't no dingleberry...:off::off:

HAHA...no, I love you all though. ;) :ban::ban: :mug::mug:

xdalisx said:
Just finished it. Started at 9am finished at 12:30pm. I do have access to a commercial kitchen brew in so I have lots of space and cleanup is a breeze + the commercial gas stove is a lot better at getting water to temp then what I would use at home...

Congrats! A 3.5 hour AG brew day is pretty impressive! I would have to say, it does depend on your brew space. I personally have to lug everything outside, then put it all back when I'm done. I wish I had a designated brew room, where everything could be setup; just heat up your strike water and off you go!

Back