Chocolate Porter input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a recipe to me, but I can't really give any suggestions without knowing what your goal is.

What are you shooting for as far as flavor is concerned?

ok. Here's a few comments.

NOTE: It's your beer, so brew it how you want. :mug:

1 lb of biscuit is going to pretty hefty a very biscuity taste, especially when combined with the Vienna.

1 lb of honey malt is going to all a lot of sweetness, especially when combined with the crystal.

Personally, I save the roasted barley for stouts and just use chocolate type grains for flavor and a little patent for added color, but that's a matter of personal preference.

I think it'll be choclolatey and sweet, with toasty bread and roasted flavors.

I'd cut back the honey and biscuit, and eliminate the roasted malt, but I'm pretty darn picky when it comes to porters.

Like I said, it's your beer. Brew it how you want. :D

I may tone back either the crystal or the honey. Does lactose lend any sweetness or is it all body like maltodextrine.

Walker do you have a favorite porter that maybe I could take some cues from?

I may tone back either the crystal or the honey. Does lactose lend any sweetness or is it all body like maltodextrine.

Walker do you have a favorite porter that maybe I could take some cues from?

Yes, Lactose will add sweetness.

As for my favorite porter recipe, look at my recipe pulldown. It's "Holy Grail". That name came from the fact that I (a I mentioned) am very picky about porters and it took me YEARS to get the recipe where I wanted it.

However, I really do suggest brewing what you put together and see what you think of it. If you don't like it, start tweaking from there. If you do like it... congratulations!

Brewing is a hobby, and entails a lot of experimentation. That's a huge part of the fun.

Back