How do you guys bottle you Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeandblue302

Reaction score
Do most of you guys use beer bottle or wine bottles when bottling you Apfelwein?

Just wondering what the general consensuses is.

Mine's carbonated as well, so either Grolsch or Fischer swingtops, or this past batch i did in champagne bottles capped with normal crown caps using a bench capper. Much less bottles to use as they're 1.5L..so less time bottling. :mug:

Mine's carbonated as well, so either Grolsch or Fischer swingtops, or this past batch i did in champagne bottles capped with normal crown caps using a bench capper. Much less bottles to use as they're 1.5L..so less time bottling. :mug:

this is what i was thinking. I may just do a few in 22 oz. bottles as well and those are the ones I will let age for months and months.

I know there is a thread around somewhere, but cant find it at the moment, is it only american champagne and wine bottles that accept crown caps?

Anyone keg it?
I have 5 gal going right now for my wedding and was planning in serving it on tap.

Anyone keg it?
I have 5 gal going right now for my wedding and was planning in serving it on tap.

i think kegging is the way to go but I dont have kegging equipment at this time so thats outta the question for me.

If you have it USE IT!!!

Some in champagne bottles, some in beer bottles. The stuff I left still I put into sanitized wine bottles and jammed a cork in there without even using a corker.

Since I carbonate mine, I tend to use old martinelli's bottles. They are really cheap and available around the holidays so I just stock up then.

EDIT: I must also note that you have to use a bench capper, which is a very worth while investment.

I keg every batch, then I just bottle some if i'm going to take to a party or give away. I use grolsch swingtops.

Hey Guys,

I am going to start a batch of Apfelwein soon (probably this weekend). I am trying to get prepared here.

Is it okay to bottle the apfelwein and not carbonate it? The only hard cider that I have ever had bottled has been woodchuck. I don't think the woodchuck was carbonated so I was going to try and mimick that. I am confused because normally you would bottle to allow carbonation to build up. Also if I am not going to get any carbonation should I not use bottle caps and maybe use the swing top?

I would really appreciate your help with my dilemma. Thanks so much.

Hey Guys,

I am going to start a batch of Apfelwein soon (probably this weekend). I am trying to get prepared here.

Is it okay to bottle the apfelwein and not carbonate it? The only hard cider that I have ever had bottled has been woodchuck. I don't think the woodchuck was carbonated so I was going to try and mimick that. I am confused because normally you would bottle to allow carbonation to build up. Also if I am not going to get any carbonation should I not use bottle caps and maybe use the swing top?

I would really appreciate your help with my dilemma. Thanks so much.

You definitely can bottle without sugar for a still Apfelwein, it won't hurt anything. I use beer bottles to cap leftover wine all the time that won't fill a whole 750ml. I (as well as most people I think) prefer it carbonated, though. Maybe you should carb half and leave half flat to see which you like better! I wouldn't expect it to be exactly like woodchuck, especially if you kicked it up with corn sugar. Apfelwein packs a punch!

How would I carbonate only half of the batch? Would I bottle 24 still then add in some priming sugar into my bucket for the remaining 24? Thanks

How would I carbonate only half of the batch? Would I bottle 24 still then add in some priming sugar into my bucket for the remaining 24? Thanks

That would work fine, as long as you mix in the sugar.

I usually just siphon straight from the carboy into the bottle for whatever I want to keep still, then carb the rest.

Some in champagne bottles, some in beer bottles. The stuff I left still I put into sanitized wine bottles and jammed a cork in there without even using a corker.

I will be bottling mine this weekend and plan to bottle still. Did you do anything to it when you bottled or did you just bottle and done? Also, do you have to store this so the cork stays wet?

Bottles... liter, 22 oz, and when i run out 12oz. I think it makes it easier to age when i know is 8% ish and in a big bottle where i don't want to drink that much at once. So i chose a beer instead.

It still seems to disappear faster then it can ferment...

Okay, so let's say I put 2.5 gallons into bottles just as they are (still). Now I want to carbonate the other half. How much, and exactly how would I prepare the priming sugar? I would assume it would be less priming sugar, but just exactly how much and also how much water would I boil it in? Thanks

I've got access to wine bottles and I thought I'd use them for making apfelwein Christmas gifts. I've never corked before. I'd like to do some of the apfelwein carbed, could I cork carbed apfelwein or would the corks just blow out? I also have some sparkling juice bottles that take caps so I could always use those, I think the corks add a touch more class though.

TIA

I've got access to wine bottles and I thought I'd use them for making apfelwein Christmas gifts. I've never corked before. I'd like to do some of the apfelwein carbed, could I cork carbed apfelwein or would the corks just blow out?

Champagne or belgian corks + cages should do the trick. You need to use champagne bottles or Belgian bottles (or sparking cider bottles or similar)--regular wine bottles aren't rated for the pressure.

Back