Too much Irish moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergyrock

Reaction score
This is more of a curiosity question than anything. and couldn't find a good answer to this.

I have seen people say 1/2 to 1 tsp of IM for a 5 gallon batch, mostly leaning towards 1/2. 1/2 is mostly what I have been using but I have used a bit more (heaping 1/2 tsp) on the higher OG beers I have done. Seemed to make sense since there is more break material.

The question is there any detriment to using too much IM? off flavor or just wasting IM etc. etc. and does it make sense to use a little more on High OG beers?

Thanks

I used to measure now I just put a couple of big pinches in. I do not think it affects the flavor any in the small bits we use.

I use the cap off of the bottle - just fill it up about level and throw it in (6.5 gallons) - no adverse affects that I am aware of.

I'm curious as to how well it works in general. I have always used it and never thought of stopping. Has anyone done side by sides to see how well it works? Maybe look at turbidity or something, or sheer volume of break material? Also, when do you drop it in? And do any of you rehydrate?

I'm curious as to how well it works in general. I have always used it and never thought of stopping. Has anyone done side by sides to see how well it works? Maybe look at turbidity or something, or sheer volume of break material? Also, when do you drop it in? And do any of you rehydrate?

From What I understand the IM has a Negative charge and the break has a positive (maybe that's backwards) so it causes the particles to attract and coagulate.

edit: Sorry just noticed you asked how well and not just how

I always Drop it in at 15 and my brew definately improved clarity, didn't use anything with my first three batches, there was also a noticeable difference in how well the Break dropped out of the wort.

Never rehydrated myself but I would be interested to know. I know some people do it but I figure 15 min in the wort gets it more than hydrated and distributed

Although they are basically the same thing, I find whirlfloc to do a better job than Irish Moss.

Of course, this is just my own experience. YMMV

Cbaddad said:
Although they are basically the same thing, I find whirlfloc to do a better job than Irish Moss.

Of course, this is just my own experience. YMMV

Just saw your handle. It was a beautiful day today. I had to skip brewing for the beach. Tamarack was crowded. Soaked up some sun with the kids and then soaked up some suds at home. I'll be adding my Irish Moss next Saturday on a Rye IPA. Curious to try the whirlfloc. Cheers.

Yeah, can't beat it. I was out in the garden most of the day too.

Is that your own Rye IPA recipe? I made a nice golden rye awhile ago and my friends keep telling me to rebrew it. I need to put it on the list.

Yeah, can't beat it. I was out in the garden most of the day too.

Is that your own Rye IPA recipe? I made a nice golden rye awhile ago and my friends keep telling me to rebrew it. I need to put it on the list.

Yes, pretty simple AG recipe. It went buh-bye way too fast. I used Mosaic hops last time and want to change up the hops this time around. I have had a fair amount of success pairing Summit, Centennial and Amarillo. Going to give it a try next Saturday. Golden Rye sounds good.

Back