Hooked a pretty good deal on a smoker...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbeckett

Reaction score
Been looking at verticle smokers for the last couple of weeks. All of them seem to fall into the 160-200+ range. I found a Brinkman vert model 800-5502-W that is 2 door charcoal fired. I had originally ordered a similar one from home Depot for 170. bucks including tax and "free" shipping. They fooled with the order for a week and then placed it on backorder. So I cancelled that and found the brinkman for a much more reasonable 74. bucks delivered from Amazon on the super saver shipping program. So I managed to get closer to what I really wanted and saved almost a hundred bucks doing it. The reason I am posting this is because there are a lot of nice units available for much less than the big box store or Ebay prices. And you will get it from Amazon in no time at all with tracking and everything. Just sayin.....
Wheelchair Bob

Have you ever tried building your own? They are a blast to do and a great father son project. Mine is on a trailer about 20' long and can do 16-20 briskets at a time. I even ran propane lines under the trailer for a gas grill I mounted on the backside. I'll see if I can get a picture uploaded and show ya.

Oh yeah my point with building is you can use heavier metals and it will last the rest of your life.

I have a sheet of 14Ga in the shop now that is just screaming to be turned into a smoker, but time is short for my projects so I weenied out and bought one to get going. That way as I feel better I can take my time and really build one that fullfills all of the design requirements I have accumulated. My problem with projects is I have a bunch started already, like a 3 teir brew stand, a control system, a water purifier system, and other various and sundry projects that go on that list. I never seem to get to the bottom of it, so I cheated a bit to get my hobby going and will return to the killer smoker when I get a few of the other projects done. I already have a plan to modify the little Brinkman by adding a portable LP burner as a cassette tha can move from the smoker to the tower and back easilly. I am also planning digital temp monitoring and eventually digital temp and smoke control. I want to do that at 433 Mhz from inside the house in my wheelchair. I'll get there one day, just gotta be patient.....
Wheelchair Bob

Have you ever tried building your own? They are a blast to do and a great father son project. Mine is on a trailer about 20' long and can do 16-20 briskets at a time. I even ran propane lines under the trailer for a gas grill I mounted on the backside. I'll see if I can get a picture uploaded and show ya.

Oh yeah my point with building is you can use heavier metals and it will last the rest of your life.

no joke! Mine was a Father/Son project! But I had been using a Brinkman SnP for a good 12 years before hand. Finally realized what I wanted in a smoker, so we built it!

Back