Yeast help/advice needed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Love

Reaction score
So I brewed a Classic American Pilsner last weekend, and I'm brewing another C.A.P. batch in a week or so. Used White Labs WLP820 Oktoberfest/Märzen Lager Yeast. I pitched the yeast at arouind 70 degrees, and now it's fermenting between 52 and 56 degrees.

What I'd ideally like to do is dump my new batch right into my primary (and get another ferment off that 1st batch's yeast cake) once I've racked that 1st batch into the 2ndary.

I've never done this before...and I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing it.

So...once I rack from my primary into my 2ndary...do I siphon my 2nd batch right into the primary at 52-56 degrees or do I need to bring the temp of the yeast up to 70? If I need to bring the temp up to start fermentation, any suggestions on how to do so (just let it sit at room temp until it's up to 70 perhaps)? Like I said, this is my first time trying this so any and all feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

What I would do is dump the new batch on the yeast cake. But, your yeast cake is at 56 degrees, so I'd get my wort to 55 degrees and then dump it on and keep it at fermenting temperatures.

Back