Aluminum v Steel Co2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mose

Reaction score
One of the guys with the local brew club let me in on a deal which landed me a couple Sanke taps, a Perlick faucet, reg and 20# CO2 tank. I could choose between steel tank or aluminum. I took the steel, but didn't look real close at the aluminium one.

Just a thought but is there any difference or benefit to one over the other? I don't think it's really a big deal but thought I would ask.

The advantage to the Aluminum tank is it's light weight and it won't rust. Being in a moist environment left a rust ring on the bottom of my Kegerator. If your tank is on the outside and not getting moisture on it, then it shouldn't matter much. Also, having worked in the SCUBA world for awhile, an aluminum tank doesn't rust on the inside like a steel tank can.

Never thought about the internal rust issue. I've done some Scuba and it seemed people always liked the steel tanks, but I think that was mostly for bouancy control.

He doesn't need either one so I could probably switch it out without a problem. Thanks for the input.

The aluminum cylinder is worth a bit more but i am a fan of steel cylinders. If i was to store my cylinder inside the refrigerator...I would definately pick the AL one. The only reason I like steel is because I once saw someone who had a steel one with its first test date being 1930 something!

It will likely go in the fridge at least for awhile. All tings being pretty equal, I sent my buddy an email to see if I could grab the aluminum tank. The plus is the AL is still in Hydro for another year. 20# will go a long way.

Thanks

My bottles (54 total) 150 cu/ft Nitrogen for stouts as well most of the rest in 250 Helium, 215 Oxygen, 260 Argon and 260 C-25 for Mig are all stamped 3AA dated 30's and 40's by the Linde Gas Bottle Company. These all came from Germany during the Hitler era with the Swastika restamped into a full square to be "PC". (screwed up their history markings JMO). These history bottles being all 3AA stamped still pass hydro allowing +10% overcharges. Thicker steel than newer bottles plus their history hence refills only no exchanges. One 300 cu/ft bottle has 1927 date a 3AA still takes +10% fills. On Co2 in 20#'s and 50# steel only. I can deal with free bottles with extra weight vs aluminum, they sit outside the keezer. My 1951 72 dive bottle still passes hydros starting on the 4th row of stampings a hand me down from dad, priceless to me. I agree by the above reply on aluminum with diving, sucked with the boyancy I traded a free 8 month from new 100 bottle for older steel twin 50's that became singles. Just don't let a steel C02 go empty and sit hot and cold sucking in moisture creating carbonic acid eating away the steel inside, this is a slow normal process why speed it up? Old and steel here.

The advantage to the Aluminum tank is it's light weight and it won't rust.

I know that I'm way out of date here, by 6 years at least, but .... I think that it should be obvious that aluminum will not rust. Rust is the oxidation of a ferrous metal. Aluminum is not a ferrous metal and thus will not rust. But it--aluminum--will oxidize. The obvious question should be; how and in what circumstances do aluminum and ferrous metal--steal--oxidize. Compare and contrast. Apples to apples please.

Please comment.

Just a thought but is there any difference or benefit to one over the other? I don't think it's really a big deal but thought I would ask.

Lesson I learned the hard way: Check with your local CO2 supplier to find out whether they fill your tank and return it to you or if they do a swap. All the ones in my area will generally do a swap, unless I was willing to wait a week to pick up my cylinder.

SO, long story short, if they do swaps you'll end up trading in whatever you happen to get for whatever they happen to hand you.

It's a sad thing. I toast the demise of your fair tank :mug:

I always advise verifying a "fill on demand" service is available before buying a cylinder lest one end up waving a tearful "Bye Bye" to their shiny new tank before bringing a beater back home...

Back