HomeDepot 7 cu ft Chest Freezer $158

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's a good deal, but keep in mind that shipping is NOT free. Tack on about 30-40 bucks for shipping, and it's just OK.

Not to discourage anyone, but I thought it was great too til I saw that detail. And no HD's will have them, so you pretty much HAVE to have it shipped.

There is another thread on this, but this deal is in stores and available now as well as in the published Black Friday ad. A few guys on here have already pick one or two up. I've seen them in some HD's here in NC too for $158.

Interesting. Most locations carry hardly any of the appliances that get these deals.

It's in my store for this price, so no shipping charges if your HD is doing the deal. It was featured on the circular as well so thought I'd share!

I weont to my local HD last night and they were out of the Advertised item but offered me the same size GE for the same price with free home delivery. Said they were actually getting that one in stock on Mon. I bought what looks like the same GE last Black Friday and have had good luck with it. Holds 3 ball lock 5 gal kegs and 1 2.5 gal on the hump with 20# Co2 setup.

I went to my local Home depot wednesday. They were already out of them then. They didn't offer me any other deals. But I'll have to go in there and check on Monday, see if they have those GEs.

I ordered mine last night for $153. They're delivering a week from Friday - that gives me time to order an STC-1000 and wire it up. Also gives me an excuse to take a Friday off and make it a brew day :D

Holds 3 ball lock 5 gal kegs and 1 2.5 gal on the hump with 20# Co2 setup.

I have this exact setup with 3 ball locks and a 20# tank. Can you snap a quick photo of the inside of the freezer with your kegs in it? I want to see how it's laid out.

Thanks!

The GE freezer will fit two 6gal Better Bottles in the lower portion of the freezer. There are several posts with pictures to support this.

Glass carboys have not been tested.

Can anyone confirm if two fermenting buckets can fit without a collar?

I have a similar freezer that I use to ferment, two buckets can fit without a collar but you have to rig it a bit because the second bucket needs to sit on the compressor hump so you need to extend that shelf a bit. I haven't done this yet as I haven't had a need but I have read where people used something as simple as books stacked to achieve this. It certainly would be easy and in my opinion the 7 cu is a great size, it can hold two fermentations if necessary but is still small enough that it doesn't take up a lot of room.

passedpawn said:
OK, I guess we got it covered then :mug: FYI, I bought the freezer a week ago and it was the Magic Chef. Maybe the "current deal" is different where you are at.

That's why I'm curious, the other threads mention the size of the magic chef freeze, but not the GE. Guess they should be the same right?

HappyLoon said:
I have this exact setup with 3 ball locks and a 20# tank. Can you snap a quick photo of the inside of the freezer with your kegs in it? I want to see how it's laid out.

Thanks!

Sure, it's not pretty right now, but here you go. The keg on the top right is the 2.5 gal and is on the hump. Under that is some harvested yeast and a bottle of Surly Darkness. I also have a growler in there hidden from view near the top between the 2 kegs.

image-1122138461.jpg

passedpawn said:
Seems like I saw 7.2 cu.ft. for the GE somewhere, but that doesn't really matter. I think the shape of the hump is slightly different or something.

I think the magic chef had a smaller hump making it possible to shoehorn 4 5 gal ball lock kegs inside without a collar.

Ordered mine the last night of the online special, scheduled delivery date of 1/5. Should give me a chance to get two more primaries through my 5.0 before then and sell it CL.:ban:

This is not an online only deal, here's why. I ordered mine for 158, with a delivery of Dec 16th,,I did not want to wait, so I went to HD and they had one on the floor for 229(reg price). They called the online number and had the order cancelled and sold the store freezer to me for 158 plus taxes

Went to my local HD and picked up a GE 7cf for $158.00 3 days ago. Got it hooked up to my controller and testing right now.

I just got home from the depot. The 7 cubic foot rings up for $158. They took off another $25 for the small dent on the floor model. Sold!

Back