Weird Keg Problem - what could be wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morebeerpls

Reaction score
So I have one particular corny keg which is always giving me problems. Holds pressure fine, but when I go to dispense, it acts like there is an air leak or that it is way over carbed. Basically all i get is head and a tiny bit of flat beer. Switching to another keg, or siphoning the beer off into a different keg makes it work fine. All same pressures.

Keg has been disassembled and all rubber replaced. replaced one of two popettes, and have swapped the poppets and drip tube with other kegs and it hasnt fixed it.

I am at a loss. I believe i have swapped all parts with other working kegs, and nothing seems to fix it. I even cut some length from the dip tube (1cm or so) as i thought maybe the dip tube was making contact with the bottom or side of the keg.

really annoying! I am about to turf this particular keg or use for parts. any ideas?

Have you swapped out the beer out post? Only thing you didn't mention already doing. Other than that I can't think of anything that would make it do that. Maybe you're just not holding your mouth right as my Grandpa used to say.

A leak of the o-ring on the beer out dip tube would allow co2 to mix with the beer on the way out. Can you see bubbles in the beer line?

Agree with the above posts. Keg seals fine when no beer is flowing, problem is once it is part of the system you have the air come to play.

I'd look at the beer out plumbing. Every connection, fitting, bend, from out flow post to faucet. It must be in there somewhere.

edit: or the outflow tube like DeafSmith talks about. Something in the out "side" is causing the problem I'd imagine.

yes i agree it should be on the out side. sigh. i think i did change the poppet inside, of course the rubber and I actually swapped the out tube and post with other good working keg. this is why i am at a loss.

But thanks! it luckily does the exact same thing with water, so next time it comes up in the keg rotation i will post back if i make any progress.

Latest posts

Back