Transfering to secondary from primary underpressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewn4life

Reaction score
I was wondering if any one transfers from the boil kettle to primary with all oxygen purged from primary and or from primary to secondary. Kinda like bottling with a keg. I was thinking of this when I was considering doing 20 gallon batches and then transferring from primary to multiple secondary's for dry hopping...experimental.

Well, you wouldn't want to do that from BK to primary as you want plenty of aeration/oxygen in the wort for proper yeast health. I pump my wort at pretty high speed so that it will splash and aerate like crazy.

But sure, if you're using a secondary, pushing it with co2 would be a great way to avoid oxidation.

I was thinking of trying this one day:

-Filter trub from the kettle with a paint strainer or false bottom on the way into the keg fermenter.
-Pressurize the keg to about 1-5 psi to ferment for 2-3 weeks while burping it constantly.
-Then transfer to a conditioning keg through an inline filter to avoid picking up trub and yeast.

I can also picture a big mess with the pick up tube/ out tube getting plugged up.:drunk:

I brew 10 gallon batches and use a 10 corny keg to ferment in. I drilled the lid and attached a blow off tube. After fermentation I put a regular lid on, pressurize and transfer to two 5 gal cornies with CO2. Not sure if this answers your question.

KillerIquana- yep sounds like what I was thinking. Works pretty good??
Seems to me that theirs a lot of ways to do the same thing. I suppose different ways to suit different people.

Back