Dear Hearts IPA(brew now,thank me later.Not a two-hearted clone, but a DAMN good IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
6post boil, yeilds 5
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
optional
Tasting Notes
Citrusy and Floral
This is not a Two Hearted clone, despite the name, though the final product isn't far off. The name is an homage to a favorite movie of mine, The Night of the Hunter
Grain
10lbs Breiss American 2 Row
2lbs Vienna Malt
.5lbs Crystal 40L
.5lbs Carapils

Hops
.75oz Citra 60 min
.5oz Citra 45 min
.5oz Citra 20min
.5oz Citra 10min
.5oz Citra Flame-out
Dry Hop
.75oz Warrior
.25oz Citra
Duration: 7 days

Additives
1tsp Irish Moss 15 min
.25tsp Yeast Nutrient 10 min
I aim for 6 gallons at the end of my boil, every time. I always have some volume of loss due to hop absorption, and yeast cake. That way I end up with 5 in the keg.
I dry-hopped in the primary for the first time after 7 days of fermentation. I took it off the yeast and kegged it after 14 days as an experiment. I always to a secondary, and here I didn't. The clarity is slightly less clear than it would've been with a secondary, so I'd say 7-10 days secondary couldn't hurt anything.

I'm leaning, leaning towards brewing this. Did you get the movie reference?

I did get the movie reference ;)
Watch The Night Of The Hunter as you drink this.
This beer had an unbelievable aroma and flavor. After about three weeks in the keg it is just phenomenal. It's also CRYSTAL CLEAR despite the no secondary. A touch more bitterness would hurt, but on the whole it's my best beer I've brewed.
I almost forgot
Mash at 152 for 60-75 min
OG 1.056
FG 1.008
Efficiency on this brew was 75%

Back