Long Trail Pale Ale Clone HELP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMtnBrewer

Reaction score
HEy there everyone,

It has been a while since I posted, but I guess a new baby in the house will do that to ya!

Either way, my new staple that I purchase (if necessary) or guzzle at the local pubs up here in VT would be Long Trail's new year round Pale Ale. Drink it like water I tell ya!

I am an extract brewer (partial mashes as well) and went on their site for a look at any info that they give out on ingredients! This is what they list:

IBU= 35
Malts= 2 Row & Caramel
Hops= Centennial & Cascade
Color= Vibrant Gold
ABV= 5.7%

So, I am looking for some help in constructing my first brew since my boy Wyatt was born and would love it to come as close to LT Pale Ale as possible?

Thanks again in advance for the help
Cheers
Erik

Erik,

Wish I could help, but i haven't heard of a recipe for this. I am a fan of their IPA too. Funny I drink a lot of Long Trail. It is know in my circle as the Budweiser of VT. (Mostly becasue you can find it everywhere)
Good luck with the recipe search and the new little one. I know how brewing around the kids schedule is.

Erik,

I would try something like this - maybe even a little less on the hops :
Half pound of caramel 60
0.5 oz of Centennial 60 min
1 oz of Cascade 10 min
1 oz of Cascade 0 min

I am going to try a beer like this now, except with all Cascade. where in VT are you all and how old is your son. Ours is 15 months now.

here is whatI got with beersmith - note that is a 1 gallon batch so hops quantities are a little high per volume

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1 7.1 %
1 lbs 4.8 oz organic light extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 2 92.9 %
0.20 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 19.6 IBUs
0.40 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4 14.2 IBUs
0.40 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 5 1.7 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 35.5 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 10.2 SRM

My friend from VT is chummy with the brewers at Long Trail. Apparently they use the same yeast in all their beers and just vary the ingredients. So I imagine yeast will be the trickiest thing here, you may want to harvest it from a bottle, if you can.

I've read before Wyeast 1007 is kinda close, as it's an altbier. You also need to ferment it cold and possibly lager it. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back