Pennsylvania Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason438

Reaction score
I am thinking about growing hops in northwest Pa or the western NY region 1 hour south of buffalo has anyone in or around this area had success growing any particular variaty in this region. If so what seemed to grow better than others and what are some good all around hops that you can use in many beer styles. I am fairly new to home brewing myself and have made 6 different extract batches from kits and looking back to the suppy lists they all seem to use different hop types. And I just want to grow something that will also fit well with my hobby not only now but in the future

Because the alpha acid can vary greatly, this year I'll be growing hops for flavor and dry hopping as opposed to bittering. That may be something you want to consider, as I don't plan on sending my hops out for lab analysis to determine their bittering capacity.

Well I was thinking maybe cascade as they are a pretty good dual pupose hop and i have plans of doing some pale ales Also I was thinking centennial as they are a close cousin as far as taste and aroma but will add a little more AA's to kick it up a notch when I want.

Those are probably both good choices, you could always add them sooner in the boil from brew to brew to get a feel for what type of bittering they are giving you. I'm in the next growing zone but had success last year growing hops in planters, proper soil, fertilizer, and plenty of sun worked out for me.

I heard about the drilling mishap up there, that sucks. Hopefully it won't affect the residents or the fishing :)

Jason,

I live in Meadville, about an hour and a half from Bradford. I have tried golding, saaz, fuggle, williamette, crystal, cascade, chinook, centennial, columbus, and nugget.

I ended up pulling the golding, saaz, and fuggle, never produced, and the mites totally destroyed them. Also pulled the crystal and williamette. They grew well, just didnt want them. Ended up keeping the columbus, a ton of huge cones and very easy to pick, the cascade and centennial, chinook and nugget all do well. Have about 30 total. If I could only plant one, it would be Columbus, good for dual purpose, and a little goes a long way for bittering.

I bitter with the all of them, and just use middle of the road AA #'s. I've never had a problem, and none of my buddies have complained yet :mug:

Jason,
I live in Portville and have had great success with cascade, chinook and centennial. The centennials have been such good growers that I have to move some this spring so they don't cover the deck completely. Centennial is a great all purpose hop. Good luck.

Jerry Papazian says once hops plants are well established, you can take chunks from their roots and start new plants. I live in SW PA, and would love to start growing hops if anyone wants to share.

Latest posts

Back