small all grain batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiebosox

Reaction score
I am in the process of going all grain. I am simply looking around for the cheapest stainless steel brewpot and propane burner. I have everything else, including a wort chiller and a 10 gallon rubbermaind converted cooler.

I wanted to start now with my existing 3 gallon pot and do a ‘mini” all grain batch of about 2 gallons. I figured it'd be better to make all my rookie mistakes that way and save money.

My question is:

Would using the 10 gallon Rubbermaid converted cooler as a mashtun for such a small amount affect temperatures? It would leave most of the cooler empty except for the small amount of grain.

I've done a small batch like that in a 13 gal square cooler with no issues. If you're concerned use a higher water to grain ratio to get more thermal mass in your cooler.

Would it help to start the mash in a pre-heated cooler? (Pre-heat the cooler with a couple gallons plain water at temp for 5-10 minutes.)

Would it help to start the mash in a pre-heated cooler? (Pre-heat the cooler with a couple gallons plain water at temp for 5-10 minutes.)

It doesn't matter as long as you hit your mash temp. If it is easier to do so by pre-heating your mash tun then do it. If you don't hit your mash temp perfectly you can adjust by adding hot or cold water.

Understood, thanks! I'm a newb also about to go PM & AG. Hope I'm not thread hijacking here!

you might want to invest in some anti-foam chemicals with a small pot like that, even a smaller batch is going to be a tight fit.
And whenever you do buy a bigger kettle, go ahead and get a 10 gallon pot - don't even fool around with anything smaller if you want to do 5 gallon batches.

Small batches are a good way to get started though - I still do some small batches on the stove and I have mashed those in a 10 gallon cooler. As long as you preheat it and keep the lid closed you will be fine

Back