Bulk Conditoning: Primary VS Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul

Reaction score
I have gotten a lot of advice on how to condition a beer by leaving it in the primary for 3-4 weeks over the trub to clean up off flavors. I have a IPA that I brewed 1.5 weeks ago just tasted it and it is the best beer that I have brewed so far. No off flavors banana...etc. The Hydro readings are spot on checking again today to make sure it is done. This was my first time to use liquid yeast "white labs California ale wlp001" made a starter and it worked great. Up until this point I have always used Munton's 6 gm dry yeast. Which has a harder time breaking down the more complex fermentables, and has given me off flavors even when I have controlled fermentation temps and re-hydrated the yeast. This has made me leave my beers in the primary for 3-4 weeks to clean up the banana flavors.

Now here is the question. I have another batch that I need my primary for, and since I do not have "off flavors" could I bulk condition in my secondary? Or should I leave it in the primary and bulk condition like I normally do? It is not quite as hoppy as I would like. Will spending time in the secondary allow the hops to come out more? Will the flavors blend just as good? I know if you bottle : less space + pressure + less yeast = yeast having a harder time to do their work. I just need my primary for another brew...trying to build up my pipe line, but I do not want to sacrifice flavor for a big pipeline. Thanks in advanced.

Paul

If it's done fermenting there's nothing wrong with moving it to the secondary. You could add some dry hops to give it some nice aroma.

If you're happy with the taste and your gravity is unchanging it can certainly come out of primary. Question is should it go secondary or to bottles? I think 1.5 weeks is a bit early to bottle, and if you go to secondary you could dry hop it and at least get more hop aroma.

Thanks for you comments and advice. I have never dry hopped but have read lots on it. I have available to me pellet hops which I can use for dry hopping. Would a week be good or should I go longer for dry hopping my IPA?

Paul

Back