Stuck Fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanjints

Reaction score
This was my first batch of homebrew. It is dunkelweizen recipe by brewers best.

I know I over steeped the grains the temp got up over 180 for less than 5 minutes. I will never let that happen again. I can taste the tannins in it although I hope they will mellow with some age.

I made a yeast starter with the dry yeast packet per Palmers instructions from How To Brew. I pitched the yeast between 70-75. Fermentation temp is 72. The OG was 1.060 which is right on target since the recipe says 1.050-1.060. Less than 12 hours into fermentation the air lock was bubbling like crazy. On day 2 same thing. Day 3 saw a dramatic drop in fermentation. I popped the lid and there was lots of Krausen on the top. I took a sample and got 1.022 so obviously it wasn't done fermenting. Left it day 4. On day 5 I popped the top again and found NO krausen. Took a sample and got 1.021. I closed it all up and gave it a swirl.

Before i go check on it again today Day 6 I wanted to here some thoughts from you more experienced guys.

On a brighter note I upped my bottle collection to 50+ today so I will be ready to bottle when fermentation is done. I had hoped to bottle saturday Day 10.

It isn't done yet. Leave it for 5 more days. On day 4 check the gravity, and then on day 5 check the gravity again. If they are the same you are done. If not, it's still going.

Like a bankrupt physician - you're in need of patience. Or is it patients?

6 days is pretty early. I don't check the gravity until at least 2 weeks. No krausen does not mean it is done fermenting. It can still drop a few points. Close it up and leave it alone.

Alright. I will leave it till next week.

If I am still stuck at 1.021 next week what do I do then?

Bryan, just hang in there. Between now and then, use the search tool and do some reading on the plethora of posts regarding stuck fermentations. I've waited 2 weeks for a drop of 10 points. It wont hurt the beer to leave it alone for 2 more weeks , so hang in there! :)

Thanks. I guess I will just serve this up to being a noob.

I have spent lots of time searching. I found lots of stuck threads but just needed to hear on this directly. I wasn't fully understanding my situation and didn't realize the yeast could still be working. I thought they only worked when it was really bubbling. Now I know.

Back