Toasted Malt - what are your expriences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Hi,

For my clean-up Pale Ale, which will be brewed from ingerdients I have lying around, I want to use some toased malt in order to give it a nice malty character w/o using munich malt (which I don't have). For this I toasted 700g (~1.6lb) of dry Pilsner Malt at 300F for 20min. The result was a lighly toasted malt (I cut open a few of the grains) that has a nice toasted aroma to it. It reminds me of someting I had before, but for 2 days I'm trying to figure out what it reminds me of whenever I sniff the paper bag with the malt :).

So far I plan on using this grain bill for a 5.5gal batch:

7.00 lb Pilsner Malt
1.55 lb toased Pilsner (20min @ 300F)
0.5 lb Carmel 10L
0.5 lb Carmel 40L

I will be using WYeast 1056, since this is the only neutral ale yeast I have at home.

Would 1.5lb of toasted malt be to much? Or should its effect be similar to adding munich malt?

Kai

I don't have too much experience with toasted malt but did just tap and sample Dude's LWPA I brewed (sampled last night). This was 2# 2-row at 250 for 25min. A total bill of 11# (see LWPA hotlink in sig).

It tasted great but not sure if my palate recognized it. I'm sure its in there but I'd have to do a side by side to really tell. So, I'd suspect your 1.5 @ 300 would be fine.

I frequently throw in a lb. of toasted to my pales ales or IPAs and a little over is not going to be a bad thing, especially with the lighter pilser malt --it should give some nice body.

I toast 2 lbs. in every batch of Lake Walk Pale Ale. I've never brewed it without, so I'm not sure of a difference. I don't really detect it as overbearing either. I'm hoping it is just adding a depth of flavor.

I'll experiment without it some time but I'd like 3-4 batches of the same recipe with my technique down before I take it out.

I've used the Chaz P. method in an Oktoberfest- 2 lb.- 350* for 10 min. nice red color and toasty/malty flavor. Other uses weren't quite so noticable BUT it didn't hurt!
Sully

As I said in another thread.... I toasted 2 lbs of pale 2-row for 30 min at 350 and it smelled like peanutbutter to me.

Thanks, guys.

MrSaLTy said:
As I said in another thread.... I toasted 2 lbs of pale 2-row for 30 min at 350 and it smelled like peanutbutter to me.

To me the whole house smelled like fried eggs afterwards. Must be the protein in the malt.

kai

It didn't smell like peanutbutter when I was toasting it. But I put it into a paper bag for a few days before brewing and after a day or two, the bag totally smelled like peanutbutter. (or even reeses peanutbutter cups). I could just walk into the kitchen and smell it.

Back