Aging Timeline Resource?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
Okay, I have a best bitter english ale in the secondary that was in the primary for 7 days, and I had planned to leave in the secondary for 14 days. However, I have seen some things that make me think it might benefit from a longer stay in the secondary, but nothing conclusive.

Another example. I have a summer ale in the primary, only been in two days. I used a belgian wit yeast (wlp400) and I would think this would benefit more from staying in the primary for about two weeks, then go into bottles.

However, in both cases, since I don't have the experience, I'm not sure how long to age them for best results, beyond just using the old 1-2-3 method. I would like to dial things in a bit more...

So, is there a resource (book, website, other) out there that gives you a ballpark estimate of how long to age according to beer style? Thanks!

I agree with orfy's guesstimate.

I'd also say that you need to remember that once beer stops fermenting, aging begins. Doesn't matter if its in primary, secondary, tertiary, the keg, or the bottle.

It ages.
Colder temps slow aging down a little, and can stunt bottle carbonation if it gets too cold in the first 3 weeks in the bottle.

Back