are cheap stainless pots worth buying?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewPuppy

Reaction score
So I am contemplating buying new pots for AG brewing (HLT and BK). I found some that are normally used for turkey fryers. they are SS and the 36 Qt. pot is $70. (http://bayouclassicdepot.com/1036_stainless_steel_pot.htm) my worry is that the pot's wall is too thin/weak when a bulkhead and ball valve combo is added to it.
will the forces applied to the ball valve to open and close it cause the weldless bulkhead to leak?
anybody have experience with converted turkey fryer pots?

You could use one of thse just fine, I'd recommend shopping around though. You could get a larger aluminum pot for a lot less. I'll try to find some links for you that have some better prices.

36 quarts is marginal for AG. I have a pot like that. When I drilled the hole for the spigot, it warped. Had a heck of a time getting a good seal. I have a 60 qt. aluminum pot now and the old one is now a HLT.

Research restaraunt supply places in your area. Generally their prices are pretty good (better than a LHBS) and you could easily come out ahead after shipping.

Latest posts

Back