Off flavor in Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
So I had never had this before and it was the only micro at the bar I went to the other night. After my first sip a light went off in my head. I tasted a combination of cabbage and celery. Of course I laughed and said cabbage out loud, every one around me looked at me like I was insane. I have never tasted this off flavor before and was wondering if anyone else has seen this in other commercial beers. Where my taste buds messed up or did I actually taste some funky form of partially skunked hops, old hops? I dont know. I ordered a pint of this again later on in the night and I still tasted it.

Sounds like DMS (dimethyl sulfates) from a bacterial infection. Could be contaminated lines.

I think it might of been DMS but I didnt know that you could have a DMS problem from lines. I thought it was only from a boil wort boil?

Was it on tap or poured from a bottle?

There are two places near me with AB on tap and one has consistently bad flavors from the tap lines.

It was tap. It is a very big college bar in the city and they sell alot of beer. Just thought that the lines would be ok since its a busy bar.

If you take away the unpleasant flavors, do you see yourself possibly liking it? AB is one of my favorites.

I'd say pick yourself up a bottle and enjoy it this weekend. You'll hopefully be pleased with it :)

Back